Sick pay?

(6 Posts)
dustybluebell Fri 22-Feb-19 09:56:39

I work in a job that is term time only, and the pay is spread through the whole year. It's in a school on minimum wage, so we get a lot of holiday. I've been told that we are not entitled to sick pay. Is that true? Wouldn't we at least be entitled to the government mimimum statutory sick pay?

OP’s posts: |
flowery Fri 22-Feb-19 12:27:43

Is it a local authority school or an academy? What does your contract say?

Coached Fri 22-Feb-19 13:40:26

As Flowery said, it’ll be in your contract.

If there is not an organisation sickness payment scheme, then you’d only be entitled to Statutory Sickness Payments (SSP) which is a legal obligation for any organisation to pay after a 4 days off in a row (& subject to a self certification up to day 7 and medical sign off from day 8). www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

Many academies do not pay full or even part sick pay for new staff (existing staff legally transfer over on their existing t&c’s under TUPE law which means they may receive sick pay)

dustybluebell Sat 23-Feb-19 08:42:39

Thanks for your replies. I will ask for a copy of my contract. Thanks for the link. It's an outside company that provides meals for the school.

OP’s posts: |
flowery Sat 23-Feb-19 11:21:06

Oh so you don’t work for the school itself?

In that case yes the terms in your contract would apply, and that might only be statutory sick pay.

flowery Sat 23-Feb-19 22:41:59

If it’s catering, is it very few hours and therefore possible you don’t earn enough to qualify for SSP? You need to earn £116 a week.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in