Talk

Advanced search

Long notice period

(6 Posts)
Wellmeetontheledge Sun 17-Feb-19 16:05:51

Hello,

I’m a teacher who wants to leave teaching but, as I can only leave at certain points in the year, how do I go about it? I’d prefer to leave in the summer (either this year or next) so as not to inflict a major unnecessary change on my class. Also, my partner and I can’t afford for me to leave without a job to go to so that rules out handing in my notice and hoping for the best.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

OP’s posts: |
Wellmeetontheledge Sun 17-Feb-19 19:04:02

Bump

OP’s posts: |
StationView Mon 18-Feb-19 17:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StationView Mon 18-Feb-19 17:42:33

Ah, sorry, just re-read and seen that you want to leave teaching altogether blush

That will be undeniably tricky, given that you basically have to give three months' notice. I'm in an independent school, and some years ago a colleague got a non-teaching job early in May. There was still enough time to recruit a replacement before May half term, but the head decide to be awkward and make the teacher stick to the letter of his contract. Instead of being available to take up his new job in July, the head said he would have to wait until Christmas! There was all kinds of trouble over that one....

I still think that if you post in The Staffroom you might get good advice. Sorry for my earlier reply.

flowery Mon 18-Feb-19 19:48:48

Well you have three options. Hand in your notice and hope you find something in between then and your last day. Look for a job where they don’t mind waiting. Or get any job and walk out without working your full notice, thus waving goodbye to a good reference.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 18-Feb-19 19:56:43

I've done this. I stashed a load of savings, took on exam marking etc and tutoring, then I quit with no job to go to. I had the back up of a supportive partner and I had reduced my outgoings as much as poss. I had a new job within 6 weeks, which I'm still doing and I love it. You can PM me for a chat about it, if you like, OP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in