Talk

Advanced search

Should I apologise for being absent?

(4 Posts)
LiquoriceWheel Thu 14-Feb-19 12:11:41

Hello,

I've started a great job recently (about 4 months) and everything has been fine. However I was feeling very run down and ill yesterday and I couldn't think of anything to do other than take a sick day (it's a very physical, fast-paced job). I feel really guilty because someone else would have had to cover my shift and it would have been a big ask. As well as that, the whole team is affected if someone is away.

I really like this job and my team and feel really shit about what happened but it couldn't be helped. How to I stave off any possible resentment when I go in tomorrow? Should I apologise to everyone? Stay quiet and keep to myself? I don't know why I feel so guilty when I was sick. If you have any advice I would be very grateful.

(Also I am coming up with strategies to keep up my health and physical wellbeing to avoid this happening again)

PolarBearDisguisedAsAPenguin Thu 14-Feb-19 12:16:54

It’s not your fault you were too ill to work. I’d go into work and thank everyone for being able to cover you instead of apologising for not being there.

redexpat Sun 17-Feb-19 19:50:57

No you should not. It is simply not your problem.

tinydancer88 Sun 17-Feb-19 19:58:52

I say thank you if anyone has had to cover for me, but I don't apologise for being sick.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »