Advanced search

Resignation, sick leave , annual leave

(21 Posts)
ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 22:07:11

Testing

bringincrazyback Tue 12-Feb-19 22:07:48

Testing what?

daisychain01 Tue 12-Feb-19 22:08:42

The OP is testing a name change I expect.

GoGoGadgetGin Tue 12-Feb-19 22:08:50

1-2-3?

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 22:11:49

If you are on long term sick and have found a new job . Can your employer make you use any remaining annual leave as part of your notice period if the sick certificate covers your notice period?

Also do they pay you for annual leave that hasn't been taken?

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 22:12:44

Yes, I was testing name change - I've been caught out before grin

elephantoverthehill Tue 12-Feb-19 22:14:15

Just affordable retirement please.

GoGoGadgetGin Tue 12-Feb-19 22:14:38

Have you been offered new job and would you 'start on sick leave'?

elephantoverthehill Tue 12-Feb-19 22:15:55

Whoops! I thought this was a site testing thread blush

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 22:19:31

GoGoGadgetGin yes I have been offered a new job but am in sick leave at the moment. I won't be starting the new job until sick leave runs out .

Finfintytint Tue 12-Feb-19 22:24:50

I was long term sick before resigning and had my leave entitlement paid to me on leaving (about 6k so worth pursuing).

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 22:33:20

Did you go back to your job and work your notice period?

Finfintytint Tue 12-Feb-19 22:39:23

No, I remained off sick. I didn't know I was entitled to annual leave whilst off sick so never booked any. I thought I would be taking the piss if I booked leave but my supervisor enquired and organised the payment without my knowledge as a parting shot. I was a good employee and was off sick due to a serious assault by one of "service users".

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 22:47:03

You poor thing - hope you're ok now .

Finfintytint Tue 12-Feb-19 22:55:32

Yes, thank you. Now I'm out of a confrontational environment, everything is fine.
Double check with HR to make sure you are entitled to anything that is due. I worked for a big employer who had very knowledgable staff who were very up on the law and actually looked after their employees.
So often I read threads on MN where employees are being sold down the river.

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 23:00:13

Thanks I will speak to HR . I feel all of a doo dah about it but I just can't bear the thought of having to go back and work my notice.

Another dilemma is how to resign- by letter or email, if by letter do I hand it to my boss personally ( they are almost impossible to find as they spend nearly all day in meetings).

Finfintytint Tue 12-Feb-19 23:12:37

Depends on your employer. I easily resigned by email as there was a pro forma. I had no intention of attending any meetings as I'd already moved from the South East to Wales. They knew I wouldn't attend and the process was facilitated. It was a done job with a mutually accepted outcome.

RomaineCalm Tue 12-Feb-19 23:20:40

Depends on your employer and notice period. They can't make you use annual leave (and therefore should pay you for anything accrued to this point). You might find yourself in a negotiation around notice period.

ResignationQuery Tue 12-Feb-19 23:35:27

It's NHS - notice period is 4 weeks .

flowery Wed 13-Feb-19 07:44:56

They can’t make you use annual leave no, and yes they’ll pay you for any not taken.

You’ll have to obviously give your normal notice period but if you’re signed off sick you’re signed off sick. As long as you don’t start the new job while you’re still in your notice period that’s fine.

ResignationQuery Wed 13-Feb-19 08:36:38

Thank you Flowery

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: