Talk

Advanced search

Taking annual leave when signed off sick.. pregnant

(5 Posts)
bluefpg Mon 11-Feb-19 14:14:07

I'm looking to get signed off for the rest of the 7 weeks until I go on maternity.

I'm struggling with a combination of things and am seeing my GP this afternoon to discuss.

If I do get signed off sick, can I take some of my remaining annual leave in order to add to the SSP that I will get?

I have around 20 days left to take.

Tia

flowery Mon 11-Feb-19 15:16:39

You can't take annual leave and receive SSP at the same time, but you can take annual leave for some of the time you have left, yes, as long as your employer agrees to the holiday request. They don't have to - as long as you don't lose the holiday. I would expect them to let you take it though.

MrsPinkCock Mon 11-Feb-19 15:42:38

You can do this, as long as your employer agrees! Just also bear in mind that if you’re off sick for a pregnancy related reason in the last four weeks before you’re due, your maternity leave will automatically start early (if it hasn’t started already by that point).

ATowelAndAPotato Mon 11-Feb-19 15:46:21

As pp said if you get signed off sick up to your maternity leave, they will start your maternity leave early. If you have any accrued holiday that you have not been able to take, it is usually added to the end of your maternity leave. If they business don’t want to do that then they might pay it.
If you have an Hr dept, check the policy with them. If not, give Acas a call.

amrscot Mon 11-Feb-19 15:52:53

I was due to start maternity leave at 36 weeks anyway so not that that I am worried about although I may ask to bring it forward a couple of weeks.

I know I will only get SSP until then and it will be a a struggle to live off but I don't see any other way sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: