Talk

Advanced search

Does political volunteering go on my CV?

(4 Posts)
1967impala Sun 10-Feb-19 15:57:45

Just that really! I'm not applying for jobs in politics as my party can't afford me but I do a lot locally as a volunteer, some of which looks fairly prestigious on paper and has given me interesting experience that complements my actual paid work.

On the other hand I don't want to look like I don't understand politics doesn't belong at work, or risk alienating employers whose political views don't align with mine. My party came third in my constituency in the last general election so statistically speaking the likelihood of being interviewed by a sympathiser is...low.

I'm mainly intending to apply for jobs in the private sector (where I a currently) but also looking at my local university.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 10-Feb-19 15:58:40

Is it possible for you to list the experience without mentioning the party? I think that'll depend on exactly what you do.

1967impala Sun 10-Feb-19 16:15:33

Do you mean here or on my CV?

Trying to be vague here but I'm on the executive committee of my party locally which involves coordinating our internal and campaigning activity across the constituency. I also represent our local members on a group that contributes to some policy stuff at a regional level. A couple of years ago I was a candidate in the council elections. Aside from the obvious political stuff it shows I have experience managing volunteers and organising events, both of which I think could give me an edge in some of the jobs I've been looking at.

If you mean on my CV, I could, but it would take them all of 3 seconds to type my name, town and position into Google and find out. Though I suppose they can put my name and town in anyway and get all the same stuff - we have a very competent communications person and I haven't exactly been flying under the radar!

daisychain01 Mon 11-Feb-19 04:23:53

If you mean on my CV, I could, but it would take them all of 3 seconds to type my name, town and position into Google and find out.

You've answered your own question. Why run the risk of outing yourself? How would it enhance your ability to secure the job.

Personally I keep everything bland and difficult for the sifters to say "Hmm maybe not". You know, maybe they'd see it as a positive, but maybe they wouldn't so why run the risk? They can't exactly take issue with things like theatre-going, running the local book-club or participating in your local Am-Dram, and they hold equal merit in showing outside interests.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »