Talk

Advanced search

Posh work do

(11 Posts)
shan157 Sun 10-Feb-19 07:11:29

Please help!
I have recently gone back to work after maternity leave/ill health.
Due to medication/some baby weight I am a size 22-24 with zero confidence. I have been invited to a 'black tie' work do. I NEVER wear dresses. Can anyone recommend somewhere that I may find a nice outfit please? (I would prefer trousers - but is that even suitable for a black tie event)?

flowery Sun 10-Feb-19 11:56:02

Might be an idea to ask MNHQ to move this to Style and Beauty OP. Us employment gurus aren’t great with the fashion advice!

I’m sure the S&B ladies will be able to come up with some wonderful options for you smile

Somethingsmellsnice Sun 10-Feb-19 14:05:03

Try navabi.com

QuaterMiss Sun 10-Feb-19 14:08:01

What's your budget? (And what kind of organization is it?)

rainbowgrimm Sun 10-Feb-19 14:26:55

Can we have some more info - what colours do you like, what kind of shape are you, budget?
What about a jumpsuit? www.asos.com/prd/9799984

daisychain01 Sun 10-Feb-19 15:45:42

Us employment gurus aren’t great with the fashion advice!

Lol flowery grin

I was about to say, 'anything goes' - evening trousers would probably be fine in the 21c emancipated world of work

www.thesun.co.uk/news/6514743/builders-wear-skirts-on-development-site/

but hey, that's probably not a very helpful response, and it requires the stylish eye of those experts on S&B.

JaesseJexaMaipru Mon 11-Feb-19 23:45:59

You can certainly wear trousers to a black tie event. I am also size 22/24 and I own no dresses or skirts and will never wear anything of that I'll again. I am done with them. I have a variety of fairly baggy trousers in various sparkly or velvety fabrics and various flowing tunic tops generally spangly or lacy or both.

I don't find that ordinary high street chains do decent stuff in plus sizes though. Google the keywords for each item you seek and remember you get to return distance-purchased goods if they are wrong.

YouBumder Mon 11-Feb-19 23:48:02

Hi there

I’m a larger lady - have a look at Scarlett and Jo. I wore the Nancy Marilyn chiffon dress in navy from there for a formal ball I attended with work.

YouBumder Mon 11-Feb-19 23:49:19

Personally (and no reflection on anyone else) I wouldn’t wear trousers to a black tie event

SimplyPut Mon 11-Feb-19 23:54:47

Something like this?

DianaT1969 Tue 12-Feb-19 00:03:59

What colours do you like OP? What height are you? Maxi dresses from Phase Eight perhaps? Maxi dresses are easy to wear as the legs are covered, all you need is a clutch and some sandals. These are in your size. More online and shorter cocktail dresses too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: