Advanced search

Just lost my job, need help!

(9 Posts)
Nicolexoxox Fri 08-Feb-19 23:08:03

Hi, so im new here but really need some help..

I have 2 kids - 6 and 3. My youngest is at nursery 3 days a week and oldest at afterschool. Nursery costs £265 a month and afterschool £175. Me and my partner have both been working since oldest was born. He works 40 hours a week and i work about 20-30 so we get tax credits - £117 a week to help with costs.

I was working in a place that was going into liquidation so had to find somewhere else. Started in new place just before xmas and was working horrendous hours (230am finishes etc) which isnt ideal with 2 kids and so tonight I got fired and now I dont know what to do.

I have already been applying for other jobs and hope to find something asap but do I need to tell HMRC about it straight away? I dont want to take them out of nursery and afterschool incase either loose their places but if I phone them tomorrow will they stop our tax credits?

I work in catering and this time of year isnt ideal in this industry. I want to get back to work quickly but we will really struggle if they cut our money while still paying for the fees.

Any advice would be amazing xsmile

daisychain01 Sat 09-Feb-19 07:43:18

When you say you were fired, is that your concern re the tax credits, because you were dismissed?

If you are claiming any form of benefits, inc tax credits, then you need to inform HMRC of change in circumstances within 1 month.

RebootYourEngine Sat 09-Feb-19 07:56:08

Yes you need to inform them. They shouldn't stop your claim though just adjust your payments.

Nicolexoxox Sat 09-Feb-19 08:44:14

Im concerned that when I tell them will they stop helping with the childcare costs sinceim out of work?

strangerthongs Sat 09-Feb-19 09:29:32

surely if you are not working, you don't need the childcare right now anyway?

Nicolexoxox Sat 09-Feb-19 10:30:22

Yes but if i take them out they lose their places and then what happens when i start a new job?

daisychain01 Sat 09-Feb-19 13:14:52

if you believe you are imminent of getting new employment, and will start work in the new company within the month, then you don't need to advise them.

That's the reason they give 1 month to declare a change in circumstances, because they recognise that people's work situation changes, so it gives a grace period before you need to contact them.

If no work is coming your way in the coming weeks, get in touch with them. That's the law.

Would your DHs wages cover childcare for the time being?

Nicolexoxox Sat 09-Feb-19 15:57:40

Thanks for your reply. I phoned them today and they said I have a month before it would change, like you've said.

I will still be due half a wage that will just cover next months so fingers crossed I can get something by then smile

daisychain01 Sun 10-Feb-19 07:36:24

Fingers crossed for you Nicole, glad you spoke to HMRC, they are normally reasonable and supportive folk on the Helpline. Hope you find some suitable work soon x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »