Talk

Advanced search

Should someone doing a trial day get paid?

(19 Posts)
daisychain01 Sat 09-Feb-19 14:37:55

Meeting the team and a general intro is a nice way forward, if that's what you've both decided - not trying to pour cold water on the idea, just that if they are "humming-and-harring" over whether to leave their current company that would concern me.

daisychain01 Sat 09-Feb-19 14:31:26

I had a terrible experience last year. Lady had a great CV, rocked 2 interviews, had great references but was TERRIBLE

OK but surely that was an isolated incident, and shouldn't stop you having confidence in this new manager.

If you've gone through a rigorous interview process, and checked their credentials, qualifications and experience through asking the right questions, you must surely be able to tell if they are authentic and likely to fit in.

A day is not going to tell you anything very much, she'd probably be on her best behaviour, as anyone would be in a trial situation.

JuniperBeer Sat 09-Feb-19 00:51:36

And don’t use the word trial- that’s not what it is. Invite for a final interview etc etc and above.

JuniperBeer Sat 09-Feb-19 00:49:59

No- it’s not a trial, it’s effectively a meet the team final interview. This is usual at managed level is some industries. Do it in a meet the team, get some more info about the role, look at the systems. It’s not normally a whole day, but it is only something you should be doing with someone who you already want to offer the job to (but haven’t yet). You don’t do it with your top two or three.

YouBumder Sat 09-Feb-19 00:43:44

I’d pay at least the minimum wage. Keeps you right legally and morally and it’s what, just over £50?

AcaiSmoothie Sat 09-Feb-19 00:41:33

I'd give her at least a goodwill payment to cover expenses plus a day in lieu if she is working for you permanently.

MiniMum97 Sat 09-Feb-19 00:37:02

Pay her. I think this trend for "trial shifts" on no pay is pretty disgusting. You don't have to pay much, but I would make sure she is paid for a day if her time (which she is likely to have to take as holiday).

Tailfeather Fri 08-Feb-19 22:31:35

I had a terrible experience last year. Lady had a great CV, rocked 2 interviews, had great references but was TERRIBLE. She was a lovely person, but just couldn't do the job and I had to let her go. I felt terrible as she'd quit her job of 16 years working within the same company. There were lots of tears and she said she hadn't realised what the job involved - even though I had gone through it all on paper.

I discussed this with this candidate and she agreed that a trial day just to shadow me and see what it all involves is a good idea before she quits her job she has also been in for ages. It will probably be 5 hours. I'll be able to at least see some of her computer skills and she will see what is expected of her. I won't be getting her to do anything productive or anything that I will profit from.

I've never done this before - but I don't think it's a bad thing to be able to try out a potential job for a few hours, see what it entails and meet the team.

Still not really sure if I should pay her. Maybe offer her a day in lieu if she does end up working for us?

HeronLanyon Fri 08-Feb-19 03:27:32

I assumed trial day was for very different position. You could t possibly assess anything about managerial capabilities nor she about the team, dynamic etc in one day !
I would say pay her if you are doing this for your benefit also ( although I don’t think there is much benefit).
However I would expect her to be relaxed bout it - as a 16 year manager would not expect this to even come up in discussion or be a big issue.
I do understand her getting a feel for the place, set up, her office space, parking, journey, etc but one day won’t tell you anything about her capabilities.

snoutandab0ut Fri 08-Feb-19 03:05:24

Yes! You should pay her whatever the day rate for the job works out as based on the salary. I did a few trial days for long term contracts when I was self employed and always asked for, and received, the agreed day rate for the job

CarpetDiem Fri 08-Feb-19 02:09:37

Nope, you don't get paid for trial days, they are optional and the candidates opportunity to sell themselves as a prospective employee as well as them having the chance to find out if they really want the job/ think it would suit them/ like the organisational culture. It works in both parties favour for it to be unpaid- as the organisation tends to have actual work to do and not waste time finding work for the candidate and the candidate can specify terms for the day eg, I'll come in 10-2, I want to see Xyz etc

Ethel80 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:38:49

You're not going to be able to see how they operates on a single trial day, it's impossible and a waste of time I think. That's what probation is for.

If they're coming in for a day to meet the team and get a feel for the office that's different.

I have no idea if you should pay them but I'd want a clearer idea of what the purpose of the day is.

JaesseJexaMaipru Thu 07-Feb-19 21:22:09

It depends if she is going to bring genuine productive benefit to the business with this day. If her presence will mean you don't have to pay a different person who would otherwise be doing the work then yes you should pay. When restaurants takeaways or pubs do this they should certainly pay.

tbh I think you should pay anyway. If you end up hiring her then the last thing you want is for her to start the job resenting you for taking advantage. Indeed if she feels used and taken advantage of she may even have the self-respect to turn down the job if offered.

On the other hand if she's useless then you won't want to fork out a wodge of cash for no benefit.

Could you say that: if she does well and you offer her the job she will be paid for the trial in full at the normal pay rate and processed as part of normal pay roll. If you don't offer the job then you can't process a wages payment as she won't be on the payroll system but you will give an ex-gratia goodwill payment of the time worked at minimum wage - but in that case she will be responsible for declaring the income and sorting out any tax due and there will be no employment contract between you and no employment rights accrued.

AtSea1979 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:14:45

It’s normal these days for candidates to do a trial day, it’s usually the final few candidates not just one.

GiantKitten Thu 07-Feb-19 21:13:08

It’s unusual at manager level - just asked DH, who used to work in middle management at HO for a large retail company, & he says the idea is new to him - but yes, they should be paid the daily rate for that job.

(DS2 did a few unpaid trial days for casual work in retail & catering - pretty normal in those fields - never got paid, never got the job, & felt thoroughly exploited hmm)

Fleetwoodsnack Thu 07-Feb-19 21:09:57

If she's actually working then yes. If not then I'd expect expenses at least and a day in lieu if you then take her on?

PrismGuile Thu 07-Feb-19 21:09:51

I would pay her either the minimum wage for her time or nothing?

Desmondo2016 Thu 07-Feb-19 21:07:52

If she is an external candidate I would say no, it's part of the recruitment process. Happy to be wrong as I have no real clue!

Tailfeather Thu 07-Feb-19 21:06:42

I'm looking to hire a new manager and have agreed with the leading candidate to have a trial day. This is for both of our benefits. So I can see how she operates in the workplace and so that she can meet the team, experience a typical day etc before she quits her job of 16 years.

I'm not sure if I would be expected to pay her. Or how much?

Any experience or opinions very, very welcome! Thank you. X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »