Talk

Advanced search

Dwp work coach

(11 Posts)
Needajob1 Wed 06-Feb-19 16:41:37

I have applied to be a work coach. Can anyone tell me what you do on a daily basis. Do you get crap from people you see? And what hours do you work?

Needajob1 Wed 06-Feb-19 18:43:52

If anyone can advise I'd be very grateful.

workcoach Fri 08-Feb-19 20:03:49

Work coach here under name change.

You will have a caseload of customers to coach. New coaches are only being trained for Universal Credit (I do a mix of UC and JSA)

It's very varied and I find it stressful. A customers journey can vary massively depending on what work coach they have. Some who have been a coach for a long time can be quite strict. I'm relatively new compared to some so have a bit more experience of what it's like job seeking in today's climate. I also have a husband who's disabled so can empathise on that side as well.

You'll find yourself dealing with all walks of life. I work in a deprived area with lots of homelessness and issues with substance misuse/alcoholism etc which is challenging. And yes, you will get loads of crap.

I only do this job because I have to. As soon as this isn't the case I will be handing my notice in as I detest a lot of the system. Sorry it's not more positive. On a plus the salary isn't bad, my office is great with flexi and home life balance and there's progression if you want it. It can be very rewarding when you feel you've helped someone but I wish there was more opportunity to help rather than trying desperately to sort out issues.

workcoach Fri 08-Feb-19 20:05:11

Mon-Fri 9-5 but lates once a month and it's a distinct possibility that Saturday working will be introduced

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 08-Feb-19 20:06:02

I saw this advertised and wondered about it. I could do with a decent job with training/ojay pay etc.

The form all looks full of supporting people from different backgrounds etx but the reality is shocking isnt it. I dont think i could sanction people knowing it was leaving them without money to pay bills and food.

Sanctioning is evil.

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Fri 08-Feb-19 20:08:00

Salary, flexi and work life balance, career progression (to what?) woild all be in favour for me!

If it was genuinely helping people that would be good. I used to teach but it seems such a horrid system.

Needajob1 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:19:05

I scored 85% so really hoping they call me for interview. I desperately need a FT well paid job.

Needajob1 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:23:59

It does sound stressful but the work life balance, flexi and salary sound good. Thank you for your replies.

Needajob1 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:42:07

Just wanted to let you know I have an interview in a few weeks. Fingers crossed x

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Tue 12-Feb-19 17:44:33

Good luck. Would love to hear more about it if you get it! I didn't apply in the end...

Needajob1 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:05:28

Thanks Swimming. Now I just need to not screw it up!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »