Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

RANT- just got refused a career break

(7 Posts)
alliwannado Tue 03-Jul-07 11:16:28

I just want to rant so upset and angry at the mo...... I have worked for same company for 16yrs. I have 2 kids, and requested a year out to look after my kids and concentrate on them for a while because moving house and starting school etc. They just got back to me and said its been refused.... crap about keeping skills upto date in a year etc. I said Im qualified and have 16yrs experience, I am not going to lose those skills in 1 yr am I. Anyway....... my rant over. what the hell.

Elasticwoman Tue 03-Jul-07 11:42:21

What they have refused is to hold your job open so that you can go back after a year. They can't stop you resigning, and then getting back into the job market when you're ready.

Whether you think the risk worth taking depends on how attractive you think you are in the labour market. Might be worth putting feelers out to other companies - maybe they would jump at the chance to secure your skills.

Your present company probably thinks you might change your mind about coming back after the break.

LIZS Tue 03-Jul-07 11:49:22

Mine refused a year but gave me 5 instead !It meant they didn't have to hold my specific job or even one identical in terms and conditions open for me but would prioritise my application if I were to wish to return within that time. It meant I could keep my pension scheme running for 2 years and , were I to go back, my holiday entitlement etc accrued through service. In the end circumstances were such that I didn't return(another child, living abroad...). Each scheme differs and is discretionary, I'm afraid.

alliwannado Tue 03-Jul-07 14:19:40

company is meant to be 'family friendly' oh yes.!!
I think they think its easier just to employ someone else than hold job open........ i have decided to resign anyway now because life and kids too important, I will try and pick up some small job for a few hrs a week, don't care what it is as long as can bring in a little money and fits in with school etc.... just upsetting that businessess can think so little for the staff and are so unsupportive and cheeky things want 4 weeks notice, what can they do if they dont get it eh!! i have done graphic design for 16yrs maybe time to move on.

BetsyBoop Tue 03-Jul-07 14:22:06

unfortunately there is no legal right to a career break so it is up to each individual company to decide whether or not they will allow them.

However that doesn't stop you appealing against their decision, you've nothing to lose by doing it. You need to counter each reason they have given why it wouldn't work - eg the keeping skills up to date could be countered by you agreeing to go back for 2 weeks at the mid point in your break.

chocolatekimmy Wed 04-Jul-07 10:48:40

Whats in the policy, have they been procedurally correct in refusing? What does it say about valid reasons for allowing a career break?

flowerybeanbag Wed 04-Jul-07 16:31:22

It depends whether your organisation usually allows career breaks, if they do and employees in similar jobs have been allowed them recently, you should appeal it and demonstrate how you will ensure your skills are kept up to date.

If not, probably your best bet as you have been there 16 years is to explain that you are going to take a break, you are disappointed they will not allow it as a career break and hold your job open, but at this time in your life you do need to take a year out for your family.

If they value you, as I am sure they do after 16 years, they may well rethink if they think you will definitely resign. Obviously you must be prepared to risk having to follow through on that, but you have mentioned you are planning to resign anyway. If so, might be worth just phrasing it that way and see if you get a positive response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now