Talk

Advanced search

Estate Agent Career Path???

(8 Posts)
gizajobbb Thu 31-Jan-19 21:50:53

Thinking of a career change. Does anyone know much about the 2 qualifications listed below and if one is better recognised than the other?
1) Level 3 CPD Certified Estate Agent Diploma 2) Estate Agency Training Course
Has anyone on here done any of these or indeed a different one altogether??
TIA xx

RagingWhoreBag Thu 31-Jan-19 21:59:29

Do you have DCs and/or a supportive partner? I only ask because we’re on MN. I applied for some jobs as an EA and although the interviews went well, the hours they wanted weren’t very family friendly - it would have been late evenings, weekends etc and I just couldn’t commit to it as a single mum of 3.

gizajobbb Sat 02-Feb-19 08:34:28

Hi RagingWhoreBag, Sorry I missed your reply! Didn't see a notification. I do have 2 DCs and a supportive hubby and we're moving to Durham so I think I could pull off odd hours to some degree - depending on how odd they are. Have u done any of the above courses in estate agency work?

RagingWhoreBag Sat 02-Feb-19 14:14:11

No I just went straight to the agencies for interviews - they didn’t mention needing any qualifications, it was all just learning on the job. They all said that I was more than capable of doing the job and that I was just the type of person they would want on their team, one of them even said “call your partner, tell him you’ve got a new family now!” hmm

They then went on to talk about hours/days and one of them even asked what my husband/boyfriend thought about me getting the job ( hmmconfused ) Should have told him that wasn’t an appropriate question but I was taken a bit by surprise so just said he’d be pleased!

They all said I’d need to work every weekend Sat/Sun - although they’re “very family friendly” so if there was a wedding or something one weekend I could definitely book a day off hmm and “many of the young guys even get home by 7.30pm in time to tuck their kids up in bed” - obviously didn’t occur to them that ‘family friendly’ means being there a bit earlier than bed time!!

So I told them that as a single parent I would need to be home by 6 to feed my kids, but could do some work from home afterwards in the evenings and that I would of course be happy to do viewings on weekends, but hadn’t realised I’d have to be in the office all day, both days every week. I didn’t get the jobs!

Was a bit disheartening because I know I’d be good at it. But I also understand that most house viewings will be at weekends, so I know they need all hands on deck, as it were.

ncfor Tue 05-Feb-19 21:38:36

Op that is just ridiculous. I used to be an EA for a large nationwide firm.

Training is often on the job.
Wages are crap
They will ask you to sign out of the working time directive
You can easily get a pay rise - by "selling more houses and earning more commission" 🙄

It's not all bad. I had some great times doing it and it's certainly helped me at various times in the last 10 years. But a 6 day week is normal I'm afraid.

Although even I didn't have to work Sundays so that really is crap! Official hours were 8:30-6pm mon to fri and 9 til 4 on a Saturday. Some did work later than that tho.

Monkeysocks38 Wed 06-Feb-19 16:15:40

My husband is an EA and has been for around 17 years. He works EVERY Saturday but does get a day off in the week. Not having weekends is something we've got used to and in some ways the day off in the week is useful (we have a dog and only have to pay for walks on 4 days instead of 5). It is annoying though when you can't do anything on Friday evening as he has to get up for work on a Saturday and then you can't do anything on Saturday as he is exhausted as it is the busiest day of the work.

His branch is open from 9 to 6.30 in the week and 9 to 5 on a Saturday so the hours are long but to be honest not any longer than I used to do working as a PA in a law firm.

I do have several female friends with children who have worked as EA's though so it's not like you can't work it around children and childcare.

With regards to the signing out of the working time directive. I don't remember the last time I had a job that didn't require you to do that. It's fairly standard these days so don't let that put you off. Also, you genuinely can earn more if you put more effort/hours in and there aren't many jobs where that is the case.

Monkeysocks38 Wed 06-Feb-19 16:17:24

Sorry, back to your actual question - he didn't do any qualifications and learnt on the job/via training courses provided by his company.

BubblesBuddy Fri 08-Feb-19 00:16:19

My DDs friend is training with a top London agent (Country Life advertiser) and has a Geography degree. She will become a Chartered Surveyor. Another friend did a Land Management degree and is now a Chartered Surveyor for another top firm. There are differences in agents! I would try and work for one of these companies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: