Negotiating salary when going abroad

(3 Posts)
TravellingMummy231 Tue 29-Jan-19 22:43:11

I have been offered a transfer abroad for a slightly higher salary. The new country is relatively expensive in some ways and cheaper in others. In the UK on a double income I never pushed my salary much because we were comfortable. In the new country we'll be on a single income for the foreseeable future, and I'm not sure whether I should negotiate more. It's a small/medium sized company that's doing well.

I tried to work out possible outgoings from suggestions online, for rent, utilities, phone, transport and food, and I think the salary offered will cover it (for acceptable accommodation, not especially lovely) and a few small luxuries. But I worry about any costs I don't know about and haven't accounted for. I forgot to include medical insurance, pension, service charge, and God knows what else. If we want to travel while there we won't save much.

I'm also worried about being too cheeky to ask. I wasn't the first choice to go, and I'm a little uncertain if some higher up have some doubts about my contribution.

How much wiggle room should I leave myself? If you had a take home pay of £2300/month, after all expenses how much would you want to leave aside each month for unknowns when living abroad for the first time?

(We have savings and a home here we can rent out, but I'm excluding those from our calculations for the moment.)

OP’s posts: |
Chingling Tue 29-Jan-19 23:25:18

What are the taxation arrangements?

TravellingMummy231 Wed 30-Jan-19 07:26:14

As far as I know I have to file tax returns in April and it's 20%.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in