Talk

Advanced search

Quick question

(16 Posts)
3107Z Sun 27-Jan-19 20:03:39

I've just booked a holiday for a special birthday and then realised after I booked it that someone else is off in the office. There is 3 people that work in the office and there can only have one person off at any time (obviously different if someone is off sick - lunch cover is provided). The person is off one day over my whole holiday. It would be extremely expensive if I was to change my holiday and the other person won't change it as she's going away for the weekend. Is it reasonable to let two people have the time off together and ask for cover? It's the first time this has happened and we normally work holidays around each other.

OP’s posts: |
SingaSong12 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:10:10

Well the boss will presumably decide whether to authorise the leave. You can try explaining this is a big birthday. Could you offer to pay for cover? Even then they may refuse if it will disrupt the business/service to customers for an avoidable reason. They would expect you to check in advance for an expensive holiday.

3107Z Sun 27-Jan-19 20:20:40

It can be managed with one person in the office,it's a quiet time and just after bank holiday. I'm hoping that my manager agrees it,I did ask for a copy of the holiday diary and I read it wrong 😢

SingaSong12 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:27:03

Oh sorry - I didn’t sound very sympathetic- an easily made mistake flowers

Bombardier25966 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:31:03

It's completely up to your boss. They can dictate when you take AL as long as you get the statutory minimum in the relevant year.

Hope you get the answer you're looking for.

3107Z Sun 27-Jan-19 20:38:07

I'm hoping that even though it's policy,it'll be overlooked. Fingers crossed 🤞 if she says no,that's a whole new post 😂! I will wait and see what the answer is tomorrow xx

DippyDuck123 Mon 28-Jan-19 15:05:02

Have you had an answer?

Where I work it's policy to ask for and have time off authorised before booking any holidays etc.

3107Z Mon 28-Jan-19 15:38:05

I haven't had an answer yet,my manager is waiting for a higher manager 🙄 I have been asked if it's cancellable..which seems a bit unfair but I have to wait till Wednesday to find out. I normally plan my holidays for the year but because it's a big one I've been looking at different dates for prices as I have an idea of when everyone is going to be roughly off anyway. It's just this odd day that is making my life miserable ☹️

OakElmAsh Mon 28-Jan-19 15:57:49

Depending on what kind of business you're in, and whether one person can reasonably be expected to cover the whole workload for a day, they might allow it - as a manager, I would if I could
They will just have to be careful about the precedent they're setting for future AL requests, and that's why your line manager has looked for higher-up approval I'd say

3107Z Mon 28-Jan-19 17:37:06

Good point. I've asked the other person if they'd be ok and they've said yes,but it's not up to them is it. I could risk losing my deposit and not being able to go on the holiday at all ☹️ fingers crossed again 🤞

m0therofdragons Mon 28-Jan-19 17:41:02

As a manager I'd be unimpressed if a member of staff did this as it sets a precedent of "oh well it's booked now". If they came to me and explained the difference in price and asked if it was possible then I'd be much more sympathetic and try to work round it if possible.

I realise that's not the answer you want but it's difficult as i have to treat the team the same and I can't be forced into authorising leave.

3107Z Mon 28-Jan-19 20:11:43

My problem was I thought the date was available,but it turned out I mis read it and it wasn't available and booked it on that basis. It was a pure mistake,which would be very expensive to rectify. I do hope that they take that into consideration xx

BritInUS1 Mon 28-Jan-19 20:14:24

Annual leave is always up to the employer, so you should double check dates before you book anything. If you end up losing your deposit it will be your own fault, not your employers

3107Z Mon 28-Jan-19 20:37:01

Ah ok x

DippyDuck123 Mon 28-Jan-19 22:44:07

Yep, we're told although we are entitled to x days a/l per year it's down to business needs if it will be authorised for the dates requested. In practice it's generally fine.

Hope it works out for you OP!

3107Z Fri 01-Feb-19 20:05:50

Well I was finally told after waiting all week that they will allow it on this occasion. If it was to happen again then they would refuse it. Thank goodness 😅

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in