Talk

Advanced search

Maternity during a difficult time at work

(9 Posts)
anonnhs Mon 21-Jan-19 22:18:21

Hi

My husband & I are hoping to conceive soon but one things holding us back - my job.

In the past I've experienced some serious prejudice at the mere mention of maternity leave at work. It makes me nervous about announcing a pregnancy especially this year as we're going through a tender for an NHS contract on which our jobs hinge. We're likely to get the contract and if we don't we'll be redeployed. But I worry knowing I'm pregnant will influence my bosses to assign me to a bad position.

I'm under an Agenda for Change contract with the NHS.

Can anyone offer me some experience or words of confidence? Or an advice line to call? I know it's illegal to discriminate but I also know it happens ...

OP’s posts: |
thismeansnothing Mon 21-Jan-19 22:25:42

Would you deffo get redeployed?

Just the service I worked in in the NHS went to tender and contract awarded to another (private) organisation and we were TUPEd across. (Redeployment not an option) This meant I got to keep my NHS T&C's including the brill NHS maternity policy compared to my new organisations bare minimum mat leave policy.

thismeansnothing Mon 21-Jan-19 22:35:03

And if you haven't already I strongly suggest joining the union. They were invaluable through our tender application

anonnhs Tue 22-Jan-19 07:48:25

I did wonder about the union but some family members have had s bad experience and say it's not worth the money (£30 a month is a lot when you're about to move/saving for a family!) but perhaps that's the security I'm really looking for...

Not sure about the redeployment there's only been whispers. I'm v keen to keep my NHS contract because of the benefits (I also have continuous employment and a pension with them).

Good to hear being TUPE'd worked out for someone else!

LadyLapsang Thu 24-Jan-19 22:04:03

What union is 30.00 pcm?

thismeansnothing Thu 24-Jan-19 22:45:20

Good point, unison max monthly cost is £22.50 and that's only if you earn over £35k

anonnhs Fri 25-Jan-19 21:41:18

I do earn over £35 - with tax and admin it's £30.

pileoflaundry Fri 25-Jan-19 22:11:15

But I worry knowing I'm pregnant will influence my bosses to assign me to a bad position.

This is unfortunately fairly standard issue, and may well be the case next year or the year after, or the year after that, even if you are employed elsewhere. It's easier said than done, but if you have been there long enough to qualify for maternity leave and are fairly sure you won't be made redundant simply for being pregnant, I would probably try to ignore other factors. I work somewhere that in theory treats its pregnant and returning staff well, but in practice is quite hit and miss, so there is no guarantee that going elsewhere would be any better.

LadyLapsang Fri 25-Jan-19 22:34:25

The union subscriptions wouldn't be so much if more people joined and were committed, rather than joining when they think they might need their services.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in