Not being able to get into work due to snow good enough excuse?

(32 Posts)
randomuserhere Sun 20-Jan-19 20:49:10

Just thinking about this year when it starts snowing again. I work about 20 miles away and I live in a hill so I have to go up it to get onto the main road then onto the dual carriageway. I was able to get into work when the snow was extremely heavy as my previous car was a front wheel drive. I've now got a new car which is a rear wheel drive and it no longer goes up the hill when it is icy and snowing! Last year I couldn't go up the hill, I tried so hard but the car kept skidding and thought I am not risking it so I had to ring work and tell them I'm unable to come in! They immediately sounded like I was making an excuse. How else are people supposed to get in if they work miles away, no buses are running and cars are skidding all over the place?

OP’s posts: |
Starlight456 Sun 20-Jan-19 20:53:51

Well it depends where in the country you are.

I work from home but I know my sister walks to work when it snows . No idea what is possible however I also wonder if you knew it was difficult in last car why you got something less able to get about in snow

PerspicaciaTick Sun 20-Jan-19 20:56:03

My work have emailed everyone saying we should try and get into work, by whatever means possible, provided we are not putting ourselves or other members of the public at risk.
Which seems fair enough.

PeachesandPie Sun 20-Jan-19 20:57:03

It's fine as an excuse, but unless you can work from home you should accept that you will either need to use holiday or take it as unpaid leave.

abbsisspartacus Sun 20-Jan-19 20:59:14

Can you park elsewhere? I've parked st my aunt's before as she is at the bottom of my (ungritted) hill

greenelephantscarf Sun 20-Jan-19 21:00:25

can you park the car where the streets are clear?

cinemalover Sun 20-Jan-19 21:04:24

It would be a good excuse for me as I have to take a 40-50min train ride to my job so if the trains are stopped, I'm screwed! I can't drive either (learning in March though!) so that's not an option.

I guess if there's absolutely no way for you to get there then it's definitely a valid excuse!

cinemalover Sun 20-Jan-19 21:04:57

I'm a receptionist in a spa so can't work from home either!

hartof Sun 20-Jan-19 22:22:55

If you can't get in you either use annual leave or unpaid leave 🤷🏻‍♀️

stinkypoo Sun 20-Jan-19 22:25:38

We have a policy at work - if you can't get in due to snow, and can't work from home, you can either make the time up, use holiday or take it unpaid.

Raven88 Sun 20-Jan-19 22:32:17

At my work you are moved to walking distance homes or it's unpaid leave. Last year I walked 3 miles to get to work and I am not doing it again.

Lazypuppy Sun 20-Jan-19 22:55:45

It's fine as an excuse, but unless you can work from home you should accept that you will either need to use holiday or take it as unpaid leave.

This !! Also, park your car somewhere else you can then drive to work

PenelopeFlintstone Sun 20-Jan-19 23:09:09

We have a special leave category and there are two days a year for weather related absences. I've worked there 10 years and had never heard of it until last year, so look deep into your leave categories. You might be lucky!

Ivegotthree Sun 20-Jan-19 23:15:16

Agree with PP saying take it as holiday. It's not your company's fault you live in an at times inaccessible location.

Ivegotthree Sun 20-Jan-19 23:16:08

I also think if you're a hard worker generally they wouldn't immediately assume you were taking the piss.

PeaQiwiComHequo Sun 20-Jan-19 23:25:50

you have chosen a combination of home location, work location and transport options that mean you cannot fulfil your contract with your employer in some weather conditions. obviously you mustn't endanger yourself and others but neither is it reasonable for you to get additional paid leave when this situation is entirely of your own choosing. you take the snow days as annual leave or unpaid leave.

ZogTheOrangeDragon Sun 20-Jan-19 23:28:31

As PP have said. Can you discuss potential plans with your employer now to ensure you can wfh if needed or else buy tracker grips for your shoes so you don’t slip and park your car at the bottom of the hill.

MiddleoftheRoad Sun 20-Jan-19 23:29:35

I used to live at the bottom of a hill. Whenever snow was forecast I'd park in the next road down

Yearinyearout Mon 21-Jan-19 06:47:37

Why would you buy a new car that won't get you out of the house in bad weather? That decision itself makes no sense to me, it's not like you had the car first then bought the house at the bottom of the hill.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Mon 21-Jan-19 06:52:15

Just park at the bottom of the hill

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 21-Jan-19 06:52:32

Catch the train? If it snows too heavily to drive to work safely but the trains are running, I walk 45 mins to the station, get the train to the next town where I work and then walk 15 mins to work.

buffysummers4 Mon 21-Jan-19 06:54:29

I think it depends a bit where you are in the UK - if south-ish I don't see that you should be expected to buy a car suitable for snow for the sake of one or two days every other year. If in the Highlands that might be different. Your employer doesn't have to pay you though as others have said.

adaline Mon 21-Jan-19 18:17:01

Well, I've had to miss work because of snow before. I live a 45 minute drive down country roads (only alternative route is over the fells) and road over the fells is closed when it's cold and icy so mostly I don't have an alternative.

My boss is understanding as he knows what the roads are like. I can either take it as unpaid, as a day off and switch my days around, or use a days annual leave, which is as expected. It's not their fault I live where I do.

Racecardriver Mon 21-Jan-19 18:20:00

I worry about this. I can usually get into London no problems but kids go to school out of town so road closures are an issue re dropping them off.

Aprilshowersarecomingsoon Mon 21-Jan-19 18:21:42

Invest in some winter tyres. They will transform your car.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in