Is it appropriate to ask to be reconsidered for a job that I turned down?

(30 Posts)
windygallows Thu 17-Jan-19 14:18:34

I recently turned down a role as thought it best to stick with the safety of my current role - employers v much wanted me to stay.

It's not sit well and I think I made the wrong decision. I know the post is vacant/not filled and the employers are reconsidering what to do with the role (discovered this via the headhunter). It's a senior post.

Would it be inappropriate to see if it's possible to start a conversation with a view to see if they would reconsider me for the role - or do you think they would have moved on?

They were pretty upset I turned down the role as they really seemed to want me for the role and they went through a lengthy recruitment process. I can, however, see that they might no longer be warm to me and might also think I wasn't 100% committed by turning down the role, IYSWIM. I would probably think the same. On the other hand they decided I was the best candidate for the role after 3 interviews and appointing me would save them the laborious process of recruiting all over (it was a national search).

I was thinking of approaching the Headhunter in the first instance but would be grateful for thoughts on what you think is appropriate and what you would do.

OP’s posts: |
trinitybleu Thu 17-Jan-19 14:24:21

As a HR Manager, I'd definitely look into it. You'd be surprised the number of candidates who turn down offers to stay where they are and then contact you within 6 months saying I made a mistake... You were looking for something else for a reason, and those reasons rarely disappear completely.

RatherBeRiding Thu 17-Jan-19 14:26:35

I can't see that you have anything to lose - they can only say No. If they do, at least you won't waste any more time wondering What If, and your situation re current job won't have changed.

But they might well be interested - so, why no give it a go?

windygallows Thu 17-Jan-19 14:28:45

@trinitybleu - How have employers felt about these candidates? Did they take it personally that the candidates had turned them down and dismissed them outright? Or were they willing to reconsider these candidates? I can see there is an emotional element of not wanting to work with someone who initially rejected you/the company.

Satsumaeater Thu 17-Jan-19 16:43:53

I once turned down a job and then it became clear I was going to lose the job I was in, so contacted the employer, they offered me the job again because they'd not found anyone else, and I got a pay-off from my old employer too. Win win.

Except that my boss in the new job turned out to be the worst boss I ever had. But that is a completely different issue.

Whisky2014 Thu 17-Jan-19 16:47:29

Defi Italy go for it. I cancelled twice k(2nd time i told them to withdraw my application) and then 2 weeks later I asked them if they will reconsider seeing me. They agreed and I got the job. Definitely worthwhile asking.

trinitybleu Thu 17-Jan-19 17:21:36

@windygallows no - I'd welcome them with open arms (as long as there's still a vacancy) and rib them gently about their decision making skills as appropriate 😊

Lightsdown Thu 17-Jan-19 17:27:42

Honestly- what have you got to lose? Who cares if it is inappropriate. I don't think it is though - just be honest and transparent with them.

Beamur Thu 17-Jan-19 17:28:02

Happened where I work. Candidate had good reason not to accept, but asked to be considered when job advertised again. She wasn't asked to resubmit an application but the previous score it got stood and would be compared to new candidates.

Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 17-Jan-19 17:28:50

What has made you reconsider?

I can’t see it being a big issue, i’m sure the employers would be happy to have you, but if you can give a good explanation of why you reconsidered that presents them (and you!) in a positive light then that would help smooth over any bumps.

StealthPolarBear Thu 17-Jan-19 17:29:38

What have you got to lose? Just make sure it doesn't look like you're playing one off against the other to screw money out of them

trinitybleu Tue 29-Jan-19 16:55:59

@windygallows How did you get on?

windygallows Fri 01-Feb-19 15:47:35

Hi *trinitybleu - I've been nervous about going back to the headhunter for fear that they'll laugh in my face! Since I think I'd be better about this on email versus over the phone, I'm crafting an appropriate email and will send on Monday!

windygallows Sat 02-Mar-19 16:10:02

Update - I went back and asked about the role. The headhunter said they were v disappointed that I'd turned the job down and have no interest in considering me again. Oh well! I tried!

Doje Sat 02-Mar-19 16:13:34

Well they're idiots! Totally cutting off their nose to spite their face.

windygallows Sat 02-Mar-19 20:11:28

I think the ceo took it as an insult. He established the org so it's quite a personal thing, I think! I'll wait and see if they are successful in re recruiting.

daisychain01 Sun 03-Mar-19 08:51:20

@windygallows just seen this thread. I don't think the CEO was an idiot, and I don't necessarily think they 'took it personally'. If it's their own company it's a very different set-up to a large corporate with a churn of candidates and staff coming through their doors.

SME needs commitment, they tend to hand pick staff who convince them that investing their career in that company is what they want to do. How can they be sure you won't leave again after a year, it could impact their company significantly. That may seem an 'old fashioned' view but it's often how those employers think. Whereas in a global blue chip for example, they may have no problem re-engaging someone, especially if they haven't filled the post, and if the candidate's reasons were plausible

Some opportunities only come the once. Hesitate or walk away from it when it's there, and there isn't a second chance. That's not a negative, it's a lesson learned.

flumpybear Sun 03-Mar-19 08:57:21

It was worth a try but they may see your inability to make the 'right 'decision as a negative, it's just one of those lessons, be sure, take time to consider a job after being offered the role and consider the package you're being offered - then make a firm decision and live with it

Good luck finding your next role

HaventGotAllDay Sun 03-Mar-19 09:00:13

I would be concerned you were flightly and unreliable, sorry.
I'd worry that you would change your mind again.

Baby2namehelp Sun 03-Mar-19 09:05:48

It really depends on how you turned them down...someone who had a contract for two weeks then declined, no way as I’ve lost my other candidates most likely. Someone who told me straight away...I might reconsider as actually you didn’t muck me around that much.

windygallows Sun 03-Mar-19 09:11:01

Yes good points all. I don't disagree with you. He/the org needed 100% commitment and don't think he feels that I can give that, understandably.

Stuckforthefourthtime Sun 03-Mar-19 09:44:12

Don't wait to see if they fill it, talk to the headhunter on Monday. They might actually like to see you again, and if not you have nothing to lose! Just make sure you talk up the great things about their job and the change in circumstances for you, so it's not a negative approach.

daisychain01 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:09:44

I wouldn't try for another job there.

Onwards and upwards, don't retread old ground.

mummyhaschangedhername Sun 03-Mar-19 10:48:09

I would ask. Just say after having time to consider your options you felt like this was a better fit and you acted too quickly. What's the worse that could happen? They say no.

I had an employer check in with me to see if I would reconsider a job, it was one I was better suited to but I stick with my original as the location for me was a bit rubbish.

mummyhaschangedhername Sun 03-Mar-19 10:49:15

Sorry, I didn't read the update, oh well you tried. Good luck for the future in finding something else.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in