Talk

Advanced search

Dental receptionist

(12 Posts)
Crystalblue13 Wed 16-Jan-19 08:54:30

Hello

I have an interview for a part time dental receptionist job. I really don’t know if I would like it or not!
Could anyone tell me what it is like, do you enjoy it? What hours do you normally work?

Thank you very much smile

OP’s posts: |
Crystalblue13 Wed 16-Jan-19 11:39:54

Bump

RadioGagga Wed 16-Jan-19 11:43:37

I'm not a dental receptionist but have been a GP receptionist in the past. Are you comfortable with working face to face in a customer/patient environment?

Crystalblue13 Wed 16-Jan-19 11:49:19

Thank you Radio. Did you enjoy being a GP receptionist?
I used to be a healthcare assistant but I think I want to get into the admin side and work more normal hours.

RadioGagga Wed 16-Jan-19 11:58:41

I did enjoy some aspects of it. I reckon a dental receptionist will be less stressful than a GP receptionist and with you having experience of being a healthcare assistant then you'll be used to face to face. Have you any admin skills?

Crystalblue13 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:18:29

Thanks smile What do you do now if you don’t mind me asking? Yes I have a little bit of admin experience.

RadioGagga Wed 16-Jan-19 12:24:40

I'm a SAHM now and currently volunteer with children. I fancied a change like you I guess.

RadioGagga Wed 16-Jan-19 12:25:09

Good Luck!

weleasewoderick22 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:27:09

Long time dental nurse here and I've been a receptionist too.
Is it private or NHS? That makes a huge difference in the experience of the job. If it's NHS, expect to be run off your feet from the minute you start work! Patients demanding appointments NOW! Queries over charges, phone ringing constantly, dentists getting arsey if things go wrong, NHS protocols constantly changing.

BUT - lovely, grateful patients. Feeling like you are providing a service that's appreciated and being frontline staff that keep the wheels turning.

It won't be boring that's for sure! You also learn a lot about dentistry that has never bored me.

Good luck!

Crystalblue13 Thu 17-Jan-19 20:42:32

Thank you very much. It’s private. I’m just scared that I won’t enjoy it, I’ve never done reception work before mostly care x

Crystalblue13 Fri 18-Jan-19 14:18:21

Also from being a receptionist can you easily progress into a career or better wage? Not sticking at a dentists

User1011 Sat 26-Jan-19 15:08:51

You’ll need to practise your talking down to people “your late” voice. And looking at the clock when someone gives you their name.
Or having a good laugh with your colleague about someone’s surname in front of them.

Doctors receptionists are the worst in my experience smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in