New employment and pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Slidex Wed 16-Jan-19 08:37:29

Good morning!

Just found out we are expecting our first child (2-3 weeks gone). I had already agreed to start a new job in 3 weeks time. Research suggests I won't be entitled to Maternity pay as I haven't worked there long enough.

Does anyone have experience of this? When is best to tell them / are there any entitlements I could qualify for / do they still need to keep my job waiting for me after giving birth.

I am completely new to this, so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance grin

OP’s posts: |
Milly90 Wed 16-Jan-19 08:40:30

Hi congratulations

You don't need to tell your employer until around 24 week's I think.... but if you tell them sooner then you are automatically protected against pregnancy related sickness and can get the allocated time off for appointments

Slidex Wed 16-Jan-19 10:31:37

Thanks Milly!

flowery Wed 16-Jan-19 12:50:28

You will probably qualify for Maternity Allowance which is very similar to statutory maternity pay. You will get everything else, including maternity leave, the right to your job being protected, time off for ante natal appointments, all that. www.gov.uk/employee-rights-when-on-leave

Whisky2014 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:51:58

Yes you will get maternity allowance. I am in the same position but I'm 8 weeks and I start 4th feb!

Slidex Thu 17-Jan-19 07:37:41

Thanks so much ladies. Whiskey we have the same start date! Wishing you all the best xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in