Peer as line manager

(6 Posts)
Workybloodyworkwork Sun 13-Jan-19 22:44:06

I applied for a job about a year ago, wasn’t appointed but got really good feedback. In November the organisation contacted me and ask if I still was interested in working with them as they were looking for someone for the same role as before, to work alongside the existing post holder.

I went through the interview process and was appointed, at interview I was told I would be managed by the operations director. Having accepted the job, the operations director has told me by email that I will be mine managed by the existing post holder (the person appointed a year ago when I also applied). Our job titles and job descriptions are the same and the interview I attended this time was the same as last time. My role has a slightly different focus than hers but were employed to the same JD and salary scale.

I feel really uncomfortable about being managed by someone who is my peer, is it reasonable to speak to the OD about my concerns?

OP’s posts: |
SluggishSnail Mon 14-Jan-19 07:53:47

I have this in my line. I have person A and person B (both project managers) who were both promoted around the same time and are equal in status. Person A is line managed by person B, who reports directly to me.

Person A isn't lesser, it's more about having a management structure that is workable on a day to day basis.

SluggishSnail Mon 14-Jan-19 07:55:03

It's completely reasonable to talk to the OD smile

Trills Mon 14-Jan-19 08:17:45

Completely reasonable to want to talk to someone about how this will work.

It's not that unusual a setup.

Workybloodyworkwork Mon 14-Jan-19 09:22:44

I’ve never come across this in the area I work, line management has always been a hierarchical structure because the line manager has particular duties in terms of safe practice. Surely the person guiding or directing my work should be senior to me?

The person managing me works one day a week while I’ll be working 3 days per week so I’m struggling to see how that might work practically.

It’s good to know that this structure isn’t so unusual - I’ve had difficulties with very blurred management boundaries before coupled with workplace bullying over a long period of time so I’m pretty wary of anything that might cause problems.

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Tue 15-Jan-19 03:18:54

Having accepted the job, the operations director has told me by email that I will be mine managed by the existing post holder

I'd have trust issues with the OD for withholding such key information from you until after you accepted the job, then sending you that news by email. Urgh Sneaky. How to erode confidence before you've even started! In MN terms I'd call it a red flag.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in