Volunteer work whilst off sick?

(13 Posts)
shaders Fri 11-Jan-19 20:08:00

I have finally (after 3 years) plucked up the courage to see my gp about the stress I'm going through at work. He was actually great and said I need to remove myself from my place of work to give me chance to breathe. Wish I'd gone sooner. 3 years of bullying really takes it toll. So he signed me off for 4 weeks to begin with and gave me some diazepam. I've never been signed off sick in my life.

I do 2 voluntary jobs which I love. Am I allowed to still do them ? My sick note says 'work related stress'. I'm so much happier in my volunteer roles than my paid role and they help my anxiety. I don't want to let them down. How do I stand?

OP’s posts: |
shaders Fri 11-Jan-19 20:17:47

Also I don't know if I'm entitled to any sort of sick pay because I work so few hours (7 at most). Approx £50 a week.

stinkypoo Fri 11-Jan-19 20:34:44

Yes you are, especially if they help with coping with your stress.
Same as going for a holiday when signed off, or shopping.

mimibunz Fri 11-Jan-19 20:39:37

Is there any way your GP could give you something other than diazepam? It’s a benzodiazepine and highly addictive. I’m shocked a UK doctor would prescribe it for work stress.

shaders Fri 11-Jan-19 20:44:19

I was pretty worked up when I saw him. It just all came out. I will use them with caution.

LynetteScavo Fri 11-Jan-19 20:47:59

Your stressful jobs only pays £50 pw?

If I've understood that correctly then surely you're better off resigning, and looking for something else?

shaders Fri 11-Jan-19 20:59:20

Believe me I have been looking, I'm very restricted to school hours.

daisychain01 Sat 12-Jan-19 13:08:30

I'd be cautious about it in case you get spotted and then you'll have a whole heap of additional stress having to explain the situation.

I would spend your leave focussing on getting a new job. That will keep your thoughts away from your current stress but put the time to good use. Otherwise you'll go back to work after your Fit Note expires with the same problem as before, no change.

Think in terms of 2019 being a new start, get set up with something suitable and don't stick around in a job that makes you ill. It will never get any better.

pinkhorse Sat 12-Jan-19 13:14:08

£50 for 7 hours isn't even minimum wage is it? Surely that's not worth all the stress? Why are you so restricted by school hours?

shaders Sat 12-Jan-19 15:08:26

I don't have any childcare options which restricts me a lot.

pinkhorse Sat 12-Jan-19 17:30:17

Are there no childminders etc where you are?

kazwelch Sat 12-Jan-19 18:09:11

I work at midday supervisor at my sons old Junior school for the last 10 years so how looking to see if a job going at your children school.

shaders Sat 12-Jan-19 18:35:53

Kazwelch I am a Lunchtime Supervisor.....for now

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in