Talk

Advanced search

To ask any teachers/deputies/heads (still in education or left) if/what job they moved on to?

(3 Posts)
therewillbetime Wed 02-Jan-19 16:47:09

Basically that really.

I am a senior leader in a primary school. I teach in the conventional sense sporadically (joys of being management). I have at time (due to leave taken by the Head managed the entire school for periods of time). My close colleagues almost expect me to want to go into Headship. I'm not at all sure that is what I want. I feel at a crossroads. It's a tough job although there are parts of it that are rewarding. I have been at my school for several years but just feel incredibly 'stuck'. I don't know what to do.
Do I look for a job that puts me back in the classroom full time?
Different school?
Different industry? If so, what? (My degree and MA are in English).
Any change is a big decision for me. I have a mortgage etc that I pay completely myself so I do need a certain income level. There is also the (boring) stuff of pensions if I leave teaching. I know my current pension would be frozen but it is just deciding what is best. I know also that it is only myself who can work out what I want to do.

However, I would really, really appreciate hearing about the experiences of anybody who left working in education and what they went on to, or anybody who is in a similar position to me. Thank you so much.

By the way, I am early forties and have been education for 15 years.

OP’s posts: |
Springcleanish Wed 02-Jan-19 17:02:51

I’m in a similar position, sorry I’ve no helpful suggestions for you, but watching with interest. Youngest finishes school this year, so no need for school holidays at home. I know I have a good skill set, but no idea how to transfer these skills to another career.

Minta85 Wed 02-Jan-19 20:35:15

If you would consider staying in something education related, how about working for an exam board? The one I work for has lots of ex-teachers in various roles.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in