Morning sickness

(8 Posts)
Hailsey Wed 02-Jan-19 09:30:57

Good morning,
I feel terrible I've had to call into work sick again.
I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum, which is excessive vomiting, I think that how you spell it anyway.
I just can't stop vomiting, I constantly have to sit next to a bucket or stay upstairs, an I can't keep anything down.
Christmas Day I spent in bed feeling sorry for myself.
I'm just not sure what to say to work as I don't want them thinking I'm taking the mic, I was off quite a lot last year, had a miscarriage, then another suspected one, then anxiety attacks, an just generally being exhausted.
I don't want to loose my job but I feel awful

OP’s posts: |
Waffles80 Wed 02-Jan-19 09:37:23

They categorically cannot sack / penalise / make life difficult for you for a pregnancy-related condition. It’s against the law to discriminate against people because they are pregnant (although this doesn’t mean an employer won’t - though most are savvy enough not to because it’s v serious discrimination and tribunal payouts if proved can run into ££££££).

Are you in a union? You need to be anyway, so look into that.

What type of job / industry are you in?

So sorry to hear you’ve been so unwell.

Waffles80 Wed 02-Jan-19 09:41:22

This link might be useful OP:

www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/sickness-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/

HermioneWeasley Wed 02-Jan-19 09:41:25

HG is awful and you’re not fit for work. As waffles says, you are explicitly protected from discrimination on the grounds of your pregnancy. Hope you feel better soon.

flowery Wed 02-Jan-19 09:58:54

Have you told them you are pregnant?

Hailsey Wed 02-Jan-19 10:17:02

I'm doing admin and finance but the company I'm working for are very awkward, I've told them I'm pregnant, but as of yet I've not filled in any forms or signed anything. I looked on my employee page thing and all my maternity stuff is on there but I've not signed nothing.
I really don't want to go back on the sick because I feel worse when I go back in but I can't talk cause my throat feels almost burnt and my body is aching.

Waffles80 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:47:09

How many weeks are you OP?

It doesn’t matter that you’ve not signed any of the maternity forms yet; you’re pregnant, this sickness is entirely pregnancy related. You call in sick and tell them that you have a pregnancy related illness.

Hailsey Wed 02-Jan-19 12:43:17

16-17 weeks. The doctors haven't been really certain on the date yet because the baby is really long.
Is that all I need to say? A pregnancy related illness?
I've just self certified myself for last week that I was off. I'm going to try and go back in tomorrow

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in