I can't get a job.

(16 Posts)
waterplease Sat 29-Dec-18 22:54:08

I'm 19, studying online with the OU completing my Higher Education Diploma in Law for my actual Law degree which I start in a brick university in September 2019.

I'm a smart, well presented, articulate and friendly young woman. Previous employers have complimented me on my professionalism and excellent speaking manner.

I've applied to over hundreds of jobs now over the past 2 months, no replies. My CV is great- I have excellent qualifications and grades, previous jobs with great references etc. (I'm not trying to toot my own horn I swear!)

I'm currently on UC and my work coach had complimented my CV and said it's to a good standard, they keep asking me at each appointment why I don't have a job yet, they don't seem to believe I'm actually applying to roles!

I live away from home with my boyfriend (he's a little older so I live in his flat and pay £100 rent pm, as well as my own food and any extras I want).

I babysat all summer this year almost full time with 2 different families, saved up over £3000 doing that so I have some leeway at the moment for finances, but I want to keep that saved and not have to be spending it. I get £230 UC per month and live entirely off of that. I don't go out partying, I don't drink alcohol, I don't buy extra makeup or clothes. Only basics each month.

I've applied to so many different jobs! I really am not picky.

Tell me it'll get easier😞 I really wanted to save the money to go on a few days holiday in the summer to Paris, maybe do 2 days in a Disney resort then a full day in Paris. Just a little treat before starting university which will be incredibly demanding.
I'll be commuting to uni in September too, I've only applied to ones within an hour/hour and a half distance by train. Intending to stay living with my boyfriend- we're moving in a few months to a larger place with a garden. I feel awful I can't contribute financially to the extra rent (it's only £50 extra a month but I still feel crap) and all the letting fees etc.

God, this is a long post, I'm sorry. I just wanted to vent and talk to someone. I'm close to bursting into tears each day over the financial stress.

Thanks..

OP’s posts: |
flossietoot Sat 29-Dec-18 22:56:07

Any pub/ restaurant type places near you? I would just go in and ask if they need someone- how I got all my student jobs.

Bluntness100 Sat 29-Dec-18 22:56:32

What kind of jobs are you applying for? Could the issue be it needs to be short term as you will quit for uni?

Also have you tried temp agencies?

NoIAmSpartacus Sat 29-Dec-18 23:01:27

What area have you worked in before? Retail? Waitressing, etc? It's a hard time of year to find a job as a lot of places hired Christmas temps recently.

I felt the same as you, I applied for 530 jobs before I found the job I'm in now, it took me months and I have experience in a specific sector and am highly skilled and was applying for Primark, Pizza Hut etc as I also have retail experience and no responses back. It's very demoralising but you'll find something soon.

waterplease Sat 29-Dec-18 23:03:50

@Bluntness100 it definitely could be an issue but it's not for 9 months! I've applied for so many I applied for so many over the festive period. Nothing.

The only jobs temp agencies would offer were care jobs. Which I can't do due to my diagnosed OCD.

waterplease Sat 29-Dec-18 23:04:59

@flossietoot I did that a summer or so ago and came up with nothing, handed loads of CV's in and got no response. I've been advised it's better to approach places in person with my CV when they actually have ads out on indeed etc. Which I have been doing. But I still apply online with a cover letter and online application too.

waterplease Sat 29-Dec-18 23:10:04

@NoIAmSpartacus I'm glad you have something now! Definitely agree it's demoralising, and lowers my self confidence when I can't even get a job at McDonald's! I'm intelligent and incredibly dedicated, so it sucks when people can't see that.

I've previously worked in retail- I was a Christmas temp for Next last year, unfortunately no jobs offered after that finished. I also worked in TopShop for the entire year of college back in 2016 as a weekend sales girl. I quit in the end as my second year got quite intense and I had to get my head down!

I've tried bar work, the only ones offered to me were late shifts (think 3,4am finishes) which I can't do due to epilepsy, also can't go in clubs due to that too! I did get offered one bar job but they took back the offer after learning I didn't have a lift home afterwards (only a 10 minute walk) and I also have a boyfriend and they implied they would like me to flirt with customers at work- which I made clear I wouldn't do.

I've done quite a lot of freelance admin for my boyfriends property developing business over the past year whilst babysitting but he's found a permanent employee now that can work full time so I'm no longer needed, which is fine by me! He needed someone full time which I can't do whilst studying.

underneaththeash Sun 30-Dec-18 14:55:54

Just a though...do you mention your OCD and/or epilepsy on your CV?
If you have just remove them, it's no one else's business until you ask.

You could also register with sitters.co.uk in the meantime if you have childcare experience.

waterplease Sun 30-Dec-18 15:16:49

@underneaththeash no of course I don't! I don't even mention them at interview. They just hold me back sometimes.

I am registered on childcare.co.uk but there's only ever a few people on there looking for work.

MissCharleyP Sun 30-Dec-18 22:57:01

I sympathise, it took me ages to find my current job. Could it be that (like I was) you’re over-qualified for some roles, so managers think you won’t stay and it’s hard to get p/t roles that use your current qualifications that you can commit to alongside your studies?

To cut a long story short; I had a one-year contract not renewed and really struggled to find anything. I eventually got a receptionist job 3 days pw. It wasn’t what I wanted forever, so I applied for other things and just a couple of months after I started got offered a job in an industry I’d been trying to return to. My boss actually said to me “I knew you wouldn’t stay long but I really liked you at the interview”. I was lucky, hope you are too.

DeadCertain Wed 02-Jan-19 17:42:57

I do a second job in retail at present that I am very overqualified for - but ideal for me as a short - term P/T option. The turnover of people in the role is high as the starts are early (0400 start, 0300 during busy periods)and there doesn't seem an expectation that people will stay for a very long time - many of my colleagues do it as a second job or temporarily whilst studying before leaving for university / training for another role etc. The pay isn't terrible for what it is £9.20 / hour with an unsociable hours payment until 0500 which increases average pay for a standard 4 hour shift to £9.81 / hour. It's working in the online department of a major supermarket and actually isn't a bad job at all. You could try searching for that kind of role; they seem to come up a lot.

PoisonousSmurf Wed 02-Jan-19 17:46:26

Maybe you sound too good to be true on your CV. Maybe 'tone it down' a bit.
Even back in the 80s, employers didn't like picking candidates with shining CVs. They looked fake. Tailor it to what they want, not what you think they want.
Good luck flowers

Boboz Thu 03-Jan-19 13:44:09

After 14 years in my current role I have taken the plunge and applied for a new position (many reasons has prompted this move). Due to the time in my current role I have had to give 3 months notice. This is a pain but fortunately, following an interview, I was offered the new job despite my notice period.
I have one more week left in my current job; the things is my employers have done absolutely nothing during the 3 months to find my replacement. The advert actually went out today and interviews will take place at the end of the month (3 weeks after I have left the organisation). The frustrating part is I could have been in my new position months ago as I had no one to give a handover to. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Can employers enforce 3 month notice?
To add insult the role is advertised with the same wage but under a lesser title (assistant while I was an officer) and less in the way of responsibilities.

Longdistance Thu 03-Jan-19 13:48:23

Sounds crafty, but maybe not tell them you’re going to uni in September, as they’ll obviously want someone longer term.

Boboz Thu 03-Jan-19 13:54:39

Sorry waterplease. My post above was inadvertently posted on yr thread.
It was meant to go elsewhere!!
Good luck with finding your job x

DeadCertain Thu 03-Jan-19 13:55:13

Some retailers don't mind someone planning on going to uni and will allow you to transfer stores when you move or to work at your "home" store if you return home for holidays and your uni location store during term time.

Have to say though that I'd not mention an imminent move away unless asked directly at interview and would address the issue once I had worked my probation and proved myself to be reliable and an asset to the company!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in