New colleague being difficult and causing problems for me

(12 Posts)
whatisforteamum Thu 13-Dec-18 10:43:39

I take my job very seriously and work 55 hour weeks.A new woman started and although I have two people senior to me I have worked with her when they are both off.
This I don't mind.Except she is very late most of the time.The job we do had to be completed at a.pace so I have to.do more.My boss is aware of this.At night she also wants to finish early and puts pressure on me to let her go half an hour or more before me.This had serious repercussions once as something I understood she completed she had not.My manager was.fine however I feel I'm being watched now.
The woman is very unconventional too.This week we worked together.All evening she was.criticizing and picking for a.fight.A situation arose where I needed to tell her not to send a dish due to disliked or possible allergies.She insisted and started shouting at me.I pointed out my case.This inflamed her and she ranged and generally caused an almighty scene which was awful for our colleagues.Some customers who were celebrating Xmas complained!!
I could have cried.
She apologized when I got home.Followed by two apologies and an admission she would tell our boss it was.Sorry her.
I think my two bosses should reign her in.They offered support now.
I have mixed feelings.I have repeatedly given the new person the heads up on how.we.operate.
Do I forget the incident as she is.a.fun colleague or.expect.another blow up soon? Assuming she passes her probation?

OP’s posts: |
Fromage Thu 13-Dec-18 11:17:02

If she was about to send allergen contaminated food to someone, she needs sacking, no matter how much fun she is.

whatisforteamum Thu 13-Dec-18 12:58:32

She.didnt.I didn't let her.Tbf.allergies are.written on checks.I didn't want to assume it was.just a preference.Also who wants an item in their food that is stated in bold they don't want.it!!.Such a nightmare trying to supervise someone.so blatantly outspoken.we have a fantastic reputation.and.need to keep it.

Stressedout1984 Thu 13-Dec-18 18:36:28

She needs sacking, ignoring or not reading the check properly could have lead to serious medical issues which would have come back on you and the business. To be honest it sounds like she can’t handle the work environment stress level , these people unfortunately don’t usually pass probation due to big mistakes like this.

FadedRed Thu 13-Dec-18 18:44:36

You need to keep reporting to your managers about her failure to work in a safe manner and the way her actions are causing customer complaints. These issues can have massive impacts on the business. She is obviously not suited to this work (or just lazy and careless) and that’s not fair on you or her employers. Please don’t feel bad about this.

whatisforteamum Thu 13-Dec-18 20:18:38

Thank you all.We all make mistakes for sure.However she seems good in some areas and slack in others.Normally I don't have a supervisory role and perhaps I'm too bossy.I told her we will be on the same level however with the Rota as is set up for peak times.with the higher paid more senior staff this days have fallen to me.I have more experience than this persons age.I am unsure what will happen as the last trial person lost the temper kicked and broke things and was dismissed.

Polarbearflavour Thu 13-Dec-18 21:57:58

I’m more interested in why you do 55 hour weeks!

daisychain01 Fri 14-Dec-18 07:03:03

She sounds incompetent. I'd keep a record of all these instances of behaviours, actions, timekeeping that are prejudicing business operations and use those as assessment points for her probation.

She obviously can't see that during probation the new employee is under scrutiny more than normal. Ignoring allergy and preference instructions is a showstopper

whatisforteamum Fri 14-Dec-18 10:15:19

Polar bear..hospitality.
I agree surely correct uniform.Time keeping.Not hopping out before EVERYTHING is double checked.I am pulling more hours every time I work with her.
Basic things that are mentioned daily..I don't get it Tbh.I feel like self discipline seems to be a huge problem for some people.

whatisforteamum Sun 16-Dec-18 12:06:19

Update...the boss spoke to her.This is her last chance.Let's hope it works.

daisychain01 Mon 17-Dec-18 07:05:26

They must be desperate for staff if they keep her on, that's all I can say. I can't imagine it getting much better.

whatisforteamum Mon 17-Dec-18 09:09:08

Yes it is christmas.chefs are hard to find.She had a run in.with the other boss and bit of tit for that but with swearing!! She clearly has no boundaries.! T o be fair she checked with me if she could leave.Perhaps they will reassess in January.At least everyone can see it is not my fault.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in