Talk

Advanced search

Moving to charity sector

(5 Posts)
Fairyhighlights Tue 11-Dec-18 16:07:24

Hi all

Am in banking and fed up. I really want to move into charity sector where I can know the work I do is for a good social impact not just pocket lining. I can't move into this internally. Not an accountant, which seems to be be easiest transfer route but am good with numbers...

Does anyone have any advice about how to do this/advice from having done themselves. My role isn't transferrable but am sure skillset would be.

thanks very much - hoping for this to be a New Year Resolution!

OP’s posts: |
KickBishopBrennanUpTheArse Tue 11-Dec-18 16:12:15

I have always worked in the charity sector. My role is a mixture of fundraising, finance, marketing and reporting / evaluation. Lots of transferable skills from banking.

The best way in is probably volunteering but be specific about the type of role you want and the hours/ time you are prepared to commit.

And be prepared to take a pay cut grin

Fairyhighlights Tue 11-Dec-18 16:15:51

thanks Kick

this has been on my mind for a while. Pay cut I am fine with, am at an age/point when that is not the driver anymore.

am hoping for full time role, iArea - I guess the

WitWicky Tue 11-Dec-18 16:31:13

Agree with @KickBishopBrennanUpTheArse ...have you had a browse of sites like escape the city jobs and seen anything of interest?

The alternative to joining charity sector could be to consider public sector roles with very close engagement with the sector as a segue across- bodies like the charity commission or specific teams focusing on civil society or social impact (central government department)?

Fairyhighlights Tue 11-Dec-18 16:43:38

will look at that site now! have just being hopping being two I found! thanks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in