Maternity leave but off sick- when does smp start?

(23 Posts)
Luckz66 Wed 05-Dec-18 07:08:16

I’m almost 33 weeks pregnant and been off work in this pregnant on and off for one reason or another. I’m currently being monitored for pre eclampsia and having a growth scan every week.
I’m a teacher and have the most challenging of pupils...
My due date is 24/1/19 but my maternity leave starts 7/1/19. I am currently off work but due to go back next week, but the way I’m feeling I was hoping for dr to extend it so I didn’t have to go back.
Can they make me take my maternity 4 weeks before due date or 4 weeks before I’m actually due to start maternity leave?
Many thanks x

OP’s posts: |
PoutySprout Wed 05-Dec-18 07:13:51

4 weeks before your due date.

dementedpixie Wed 05-Dec-18 07:17:38

It's from around 36 weeks, so 4 weeks before your due date.

Luckz66 Wed 05-Dec-18 07:56:27

I’m just stressing cause I break up from work on 21/12 and I really don’t want to go back... would rather just stay off now

dementedpixie Wed 05-Dec-18 08:03:51

Ask to get signed off then or liaise with your employer to see if you can start your leave early. Normally need 28 days notice to change the start date but maybe they will be accommodating

StealthPolarBear Wed 05-Dec-18 08:07:01

You can start your leave earlier if you want to

PoutySprout Wed 05-Dec-18 08:08:03

I don’t think she wants to start mat leave early.

StealthPolarBear Wed 05-Dec-18 08:10:16

I thought she wanted to finish for Christmas and not go back? Apologies if I've misunderstood

PoutySprout Wed 05-Dec-18 08:10:26

I’m guessing she wants to go sick till 21/12, then school hols till 7/1 which would work. You’d need to be signed back for work the first day of the school hols to not be forced into mat leave on 28/12

dementedpixie Wed 05-Dec-18 08:11:26

She does. She's just said she wants to go off on 21st December and not go back

I’m just stressing cause I break up from work on 21/12 and I really don’t want to go back... would rather just stay off now

dementedpixie Wed 05-Dec-18 08:12:31

Or maybe it's the other way. Please clarify OP

dementedpixie Wed 05-Dec-18 08:14:32

Are you wanting to go back in January or not? Your sick leave could be extended until 21/12 and you go back in January or you could ask to change your start date and not go back at all

PoutySprout Wed 05-Dec-18 08:15:11

Can they make me take my maternity 4 weeks before due date or 4 weeks before I’m actually due to start maternity leave?

the way I’m feeling I was hoping for dr to extend it so I didn’t have to go back.

I read this that she didn’t want to be forced to start mat leave early.

She wants to maximise sick leave and mat leave seems to be times to start on first day of spring term.

If she’s signed off as sick on 28/12 mat leave will kick in. She just needs to be signed for for work from 22/12 and mat leave can start on 7/1 as she wants.

It’s a fiddle.

Luckz66 Wed 05-Dec-18 08:34:39

Because I had pre eclampsia in my previous pregnancy and I have high bp at the mo and on medication to try and lower it the doctor has advised I stay off work.
I work with high risk students and due to the nature of my job I’d rather stay off now until 21/12 and for my maternity leave to start 7/1, this would enable me to stay off now.
As you mentioned how to I ensure I’m signed back to go into work after 22/12 as the school I work at closes 21/12.

dementedpixie Wed 05-Dec-18 09:17:59

Could you go in on the last day? It's normally shorter and wouldn't be doung much work.

PoutySprout Wed 05-Dec-18 09:49:02

You just need a fit note that says you will be fit to return on 22nd. You don’t physically need to go back.

Rarfy Wed 05-Dec-18 09:58:33

I work in higher education our policy is four weeks before due date you will be put on maternity leave.

If you're not feeling good do what is best for you and baby.

Rarfy Wed 05-Dec-18 10:04:42

As others have said you would either need to return to work for a day or have a fit note saying you would be returning on the first day of the hols for them to let you have the two weeks christmas holidays as normal pay rather than maternity.

I researched this as a similar situation. My workplace closes 21st and reopens 2nd Jan. My due date is 29th Jan but i was always getting induced 2wks early. Now looking at section 3wks early. My official maternity leave starts 2nd Jan so i can have the holidays as full pay.

If i went off sick, because due date is actually 29 Jan my maternity leave would kick in four weeks early so 1st Jan. Ive got lucky if i need sick leave but hoping not to use it.

Luckz66 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:46:33

I don’t work Fridays so if I get a sick note dated til 20th which is the Thursday... would that cover me?

MadameJosephine Wed 05-Dec-18 15:54:42

As it’s not a sick note these days it’s a fit note your employer may actually ask for a note from your doctor to declare you fit for work which it sounds like you are not so legally I think you’ll need to start your statutory maternity leave at 36 weeks

PoutySprout Wed 05-Dec-18 16:25:06

^wrong

Luckz66 Wed 05-Dec-18 23:56:12

Ill see if I can get a note to cover me for the last two weeks

Rarfy Thu 06-Dec-18 05:52:37

I do think you still have to submit a 'fit' note to say you would have been returning at the end of the sick leave. Just so you know. Your gp will confirm.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in