Take redundancy or not

(11 Posts)
shouldijump Tue 04-Dec-18 17:59:35

So I have a work dilemma and a kind of life dilemma. Would welcome views of others.

Have been at current company for a bit over 10 years and pretty much most of my time whilst I have had DC ie only company have worked for when I have had to juggle balancing work And Home.
Company provides a lot of flexibility and including at times homeworking roles which has been great. A couple of years ago I got promoted to senior management but then subsequently was messed around and for last couple of years I have been doing roles that I am overqualified for. Basically I felt that the company stitched me up. I am still getting paid what I am but doing the work has been confidence destroying as I thought I was better than this. I am better than this. The only reason I have stuck with it is because it gave me the flexibility to be around for my DC.

I have come to a point however where I need to make a decision. Company going through reorganisation and there is a possibility that I will be offered a redundancy package. The package is quite good and I would get just over 12 months (I think). I also have an option of applying for new roles that again would pay the bills but for which I am over qualified for (I believe). Company would like me to apply for the roles.

I have always put my family first and I need to work for financial reasons. Within the family we are going through a very difficult time as my DS has been sick and has missed a lot of school due to mental health issues. He is on the mend but still it is hard to know how things are going to pan out.

So the options that I have are:

1. Take the redundancy that will allow me to have time with my family without thinking about work. The payment will buy me that time with a view that I then get another job within a year or so consulting. Having the time off is so tempting as it has been a very difficult few months. But also I just feel like at this point in my career I want to not settle anymore and give it a real go of getting a job in another company that will stretch and develop me - although is unlikely to be as flexible. It is a risk and ofcourse I lack confidence whether I will get a better job and am worried that I might be shooting myself in the foot. I also worry that what if I do get a big role and I can't make it work due to status at home. For what's its
Worth DH wants me to take this option as he thinks that at this point in my career I do need to think about myself and take a risk. He is confident I would get a good job and has said that we will have other options if financial issues become a reality or remortgage or him move apply for a better paid role.

2. The other option is to apply for the roles at my current company - that I probably have a good chance of getting. There will be a slight reduction in benefits but my salary will stay the same. I would be doing this just to keep the money coming in. The role is really not that interesting. They have been very understanding with regards to the difficulties that I have had at home but I don't know how long this would last. Ofcourse if I do this I miss out on the opportunity to take a good redundancy package. The advantage of this option is that it is risk free and allows for continuity of a job.

What would you do and can somebody advise me? I have to balance support for my family with financial stability with my own self belief and doing something for me.

This is the first time that I have written all of this out so that is a helpful process but would welcome thought or questions about things I may not have considered.

OP’s posts: |
carly2803 Fri 07-Dec-18 22:38:28

No brainer for me!! take the redundancy package and apply for a new job!

even if you took 3-6 months off - you have another 6 months paid to put away - pay off some mortgage - or go on holiday while your off???

id snap their hand off

Marychristmastome Fri 07-Dec-18 22:42:31

Take redundancy and the chance to be working at your full potential where you will be valued.

Truckingonandon Fri 07-Dec-18 22:43:29

I'm inclined to agree with carly, so long as you think you will be able to secure a new role in the future. You sound great, so I'm sure your lack of confidence is unfounded.

user1490043295 Fri 07-Dec-18 22:45:19

I would take the money and spend time with your family. I have been made redundant twice and have managed to find better paid jobs each time. I agree its scary as i wasnt sure too but took risk and paid off

giggly Fri 07-Dec-18 22:45:59

Sounds like your son will still require ongoing support as with the best will in the world mental health problems rarely improve quickly. Has your dh considered this or is he able to provide the support if you take a role with less flexibility. I’d be putting my ds needs first , work will always be there but I’d not risk not being able to support a dc with mh problems until they are fully recovered/ reach optimal health.

Weenurse Fri 07-Dec-18 22:49:00

Take the redundancy.
I have never heard anyone on their death bed say they wish they spent more time at work.
It is always they wish they spent more time with their family.
Take this time with your family and work out where you would like to go in the future

CIT80 Fri 07-Dec-18 22:54:09

Def take the money x

jay55 Fri 07-Dec-18 23:00:25

Take the redundancy, give yourself some breathing room and a fresh start.

There are often more than one round and the offers decrease in time.

RighteousSista Sun 12-May-19 08:33:43

I took vol redundo (15 years service). Also i claimed contribution based benefits for 6 months, regardless of savings & redundancy payment. This gave me access to free training (renewed project management qualification and did a set up your own business course, got new enterprise allowance through job centre plus for another 6 months and it gave me time and space for my family. I'd take it!

Totaldogsbody Fri 24-May-19 19:51:54

Take the redundancy, spend time with your DS and look for a new position that you will enjoy. The redundancy will give you the time that you need to destress from the last few months and look for a role that you feel will both challenge you and develop your career in the way you wish to take it. If you don't you may regret it later.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in