Part time bank holiday

(8 Posts)
Worklife2018 Wed 21-Nov-18 18:41:51

Hi I work part time 24 hours a week over three day ( Tuesdays, Wednesday's and Thursdays 09:00-17:30hrs )
I was told last year I am entilited to hourly entitlement of 4.8 hours, so I was told on bank holidays I only work for 4.8 hours not my full day as they worked out pro rata.
I got told today suddenly I now have to work my full day but only get 4.8 hours back giving to me on my annual leave form.

I was really confused as was te women from HR , so I said so you're telling me I work all day but don't get my full hours back to me she said no .
I am really confused
I work for the nhs and they go by a read reknor I am entilited to my annual leave then on top get 34 hours bank holiday but then states works out to be hourly entitlement of 4.8 hours

Could someone please help me out may I add I'm asking as I know I don't work Mondays and Fridays where bank holidays normally fall on I'm asking because I am working boxing day and news years this year which fall on my working days

Thank you and sorry for the confusion, hopefully someone replies who works for the nhs and understand what I mean with ready reknor

OP’s posts: |
DisillusionedEmployee Wed 21-Nov-18 21:26:27

I would assume you get your normal annual which may or may not include bank holiday entitlement. 1/5th of 24 hours is 4.8 hours which is your pro-rata x 8 bank holidays per year which equates to 38.4 hours bank holiday entitlement per annum.

Unfortunately yes you will work your normal day but would have to take extra from your leave to cover. Similar to me as I work 20 hours per week so only get 4 hours per bank holiday however work 8 hours on a Monday!

nerdsville Wed 21-Nov-18 21:31:03

I think your HR lady is overcomplicating it by trying to talk about it in terms of a daily allowance. I think she's trying to say that you accrue 4.8 hours bank holiday leave every time there is a bank holiday, but I don't necessarily think it's a very helpful way to explain it.

Look at it as an annual thing- you get 34 hours bank holiday allowance each year, so any bank holidays that fall on a working day but that you're not going to actually work need to come out of this allowance, and whatever's left over you get to use whenever you want.

So if you weren't going to work Xmas and boxing day this year, you'd need to use 16 hours out of your bank holiday allowance to cover those 2 days and then you get the other 18 hours left to use whenever you want like normal holiday (because in 2018 no other bank hols fall on your working days).

Because you are working Xmas and boxing day, you don't need to use any of your bank holiday entitlement for actual bank holidays this year, so you get the whole 34 hours to use whenever you like.

Does that make more sense?

Worklife2018 Wed 21-Nov-18 22:07:52

Hi thank you for your reply , so I work my normal long day but would only take 4.8 hours off my annual leave form is that right, or am I taking off my full day off my annual leave .

I've had so many mixed messages from different people in HR I'm now confused.

Thank you again for your reply

HunterHearstHelmsley Thu 22-Nov-18 08:46:10

For any bank holiday that falls on your working day that you don't work (office closed etc.) You would need to book your full day's working hours off.

You get a pro-rata amount of annual leave and bank holidays, this is usually lumped into one. Effectively, for a bank holiday you have to take a certain amount of your BH allowance and a certain amount of AL allowance.

With your working days, normally it would work out that you had more to take than to book.

HunterHearstHelmsley Thu 22-Nov-18 08:47:38

If you're working it then you get paid as normal and have the 4.8 hours to book elsewhere.

titchy Thu 22-Nov-18 09:08:14

If you're working it then you get paid as normal and have the 4.8 hours to book elsewhere.

This! ^^

Worklife2018 Thu 22-Nov-18 19:37:58

Thank you all for your replies, I found out today that is the case , I work my full day and get 4.8 hours to use another day , hey have already taking off my annual leave 8 hours on boxing day which will be changed as I am working this I but I got told it shouldn't be 8 hours that they take off anyways if I didn't work it and should be 4.8hoirs they fake off .

Hope this is right
Thank you all again

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in