Line Manager....?

(6 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Tue 20-Nov-18 16:01:55

Have been in my current role for 3 months, it is pretty much the same as I did in a former role with the college but a step up.
I now have a non academic line manager, I know who she is etc but have not had any 1-1's with her, it has just been a you know what you are doing if you want to meet let me know and off you go type of thing. Now I am not expecting to be micro managed I have got used to being left to get on with things but it would be good to have some interest shown in what I am doing (she doesn't have an idea of what my role entails) and potential suggestions for development opportunities etc where applicable. Don't get me wrong I am not aiming to be the next head of xyz but it would be nice to feel supported and that someone was interested in me, as opposed to being a stop gap for tasks when they are short of time/staff. I do work with some difficult staff and it would be nice to feel that others were looking out for me. Or do I need a reality check? Am I expecting too much..?

OP’s posts: |
ShotsFired Tue 20-Nov-18 16:04:50

If your manager isn't managing you the way you would like, then you need to manage her!

Set up weekly calls or 1-1 meetings to go over things, discuss bits and pieces. Establish appraisals or performance management systems etc.

etc etc

marialuisa Tue 20-Nov-18 16:46:06

Due to a policy change I have recently been given a large cohort of additional staff to line manage. There is a lot of griping about this change from the academics who previously line managed them and will continue to allocate their day-to-day work. As a result I’m doing pretty much what your line manager has done and put the ball in their court. If you were one of the staff I now manage I’d be more than happy to hear from you and to build a relationship but politically I need you to instigate that.

mammasmadhouse Tue 20-Nov-18 18:05:43

Thank you both for your reply, there isn't a huge staff group under this line manager, possibly a handful and none of them have 1-1's.
Historically when she was in another area, some of the staff did have 1-1 meetings but felt it was one sided with little LM input. I did wonder whether it was me at one point that I didn't fit as whenever I had cause to talk to her/ask something I always leave feeling that I am resented/something brought in on the bottom of her shoe. The team I work for can be difficult and have been the cause of problems/tension previously but I have tried to help where I can, doing things that are not my responsibility. I have been looking for study days etc that I can attend so hopefully that may open up the paths of communication.

OP’s posts: |
ShotsFired Tue 20-Nov-18 20:56:56

Many years ago I started a new job working alongside a woman who seemed completely pissed off with me for no reason. This went on for about two weeks until one of us asked the other out for lunch.

That was the icebreaker and it had a massive positive effect and to this day, we are still in contact.

Could you do something like that, perhaps under the guise of wanting advice but "why don't buy you a drink/coffee/lunch while we chat?"

WomblesAreCommon Wed 21-Nov-18 23:53:46

She’s said to tell her if you want to meet - have you told her?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in