Child Benefit and commission based employment

(6 Posts)
Juststopamoment Mon 19-Nov-18 12:13:30

Not sure where to put this so I’ve ended up here. I know someone who has two children both under 5. Her husband works on commission and has only made the threshold twice this year but apparently they can’t claim child benefit. Does anyone know if this is correct? As she isn’t working all their money goes on the mortgage and bills and she has no money to even take her children to any classes just so they can get out of the house. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
MissMalice Mon 19-Nov-18 12:15:46

If he earns over £60k he has to pay back the child benefit through his tax.

She should be claiming the child benefit regardless of whether he has to pay it back or not because it gives her NI stamps towards her state pension.

MissMalice Mon 19-Nov-18 12:17:15

If he’s on £60k and they are somehow still so short on money they are socially isolated they need to get financial help - CAB or Stepchange might be good places to start.

If he is withholding all the money she needs to speak to womens aid about financial abuse.

festivedramallama Mon 19-Nov-18 12:23:42

She needs to claim the cb and he needs to complete a tax return to pay any back if he earns over 50k it’s tapered until 60k

Juststopamoment Mon 19-Nov-18 12:38:08

I don’t know how much he earns but from what I’ve googled the threshold is £50,000. I’m only going on what she has told me and it doesn’t sound like it’s abusive. It’s just that their household income fluctuate month to month. I think she needs to claim it regardless of what she has to pay back. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
LadyLapsang Mon 19-Nov-18 18:04:00

Yes, she should claim. He just needs to put money aside to pay it back.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in