Would you ever lie to get a sale?

(8 Posts)
Electrascoffee Sun 11-Nov-18 14:16:32

I'm not very happy because my boss told me to tell customers they are getting a discount on a product then to run it through the til as normal. I'm not happy about this. And I won't do it because she thinks people don't check the price. I don't think this is the way to gain trust.

OP’s posts: |
QuickPollPlease Sun 11-Nov-18 14:45:25

She's an absolute idiot if she thinks people won't realise!

BigcatLittlecat Sun 11-Nov-18 14:53:22

If that happened to me I would be furious and take it further! This could have an impact on you as you put it through the til. Do you really want that hassle? Could you speak to her manager?

ScreamingValenta Sun 11-Nov-18 14:55:26

Do you have a whistleblowing line you can use to report this?

Electrascoffee Sun 11-Nov-18 15:32:42

There is absolutely no way I would ever deceive people this way. I work for a small business so nobody above her.

Hoppinggreen Sun 11-Nov-18 16:44:07

Ive worked in sales for over 25 years
I’ve only been asked to twice and I left the company each time, but then I was in a position to luckily
It’s wrong and unless she puts it in writing that you are to do this then you shouldn’t ( and even then probably not)

Graphista Sun 11-Nov-18 18:39:02

Aside from the moral issues that's illegal - and I can well believe such a boss would leave you in the firing line if it were reported and deny telling you to do so.

You're absolutely right not to.

Electrascoffee Sun 11-Nov-18 21:47:19

Well I work in a job where it's really important to get your client's trust. Thank you - I'm glad that you agree with me this is absolutely not on.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in