Employer? Employee? Come and have a look at MNHQ's Leadership Accelerator Programme for women returning to work

(21 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Nov-18 14:43:03

Hello

The 'Work' team here at MNHQ has put together a brand new training programme for women who have returned to work after an extended career break or maternity leave.

The 12-month Leadership Accelerator Programme is designed to get women into leadership positions, and leads to a Level 5 Chartered Management Institute Diploma in Leadership and Management.

Even better, if your company is a reasonably large one based in England or employing people in England it can be paid for in full by Apprenticeship Levy funds.

As some of you may know, tomorrow is Equal Pay Day - the day from which women employees effectively work for free until the end of the year (because of the gender pay gap). We're hoping the Accelerator Scheme is one example of the kind of thing that can help companies to close their gender pay gap.

So if you think it's the sort of course you've love to go on, or that women in your organisation might benefit from, we'd love it if you flagged it up to your HR team or manager.

Of course, if you are yourself the boss or the HR lead, please consider yourself flagged.

If you're interested in finding out more we'd love to hear from you - drop us a line on jobs@mumsnet.com

And, as ever, let us know what you think.

Thanks
MNHQ

OP’s posts: |
PookieDo Fri 09-Nov-18 18:07:55

This sounds brilliant! I wish I could do it myself although have not had a career break!

Redcliff Fri 09-Nov-18 18:37:11

Could it also be used for women who haven't had a career break?

Rednaxela Fri 09-Nov-18 18:42:20

Can women working part time get on board?

KeepCalm Fri 09-Nov-18 20:35:31

Is it only for England?
Does it count for self employed:directors. I accidentally find myself with 16 staff now and need to play catch up with the leadership part.

My last matty leave I worked through so there is no 'return to work' 😞

April2020mom Fri 09-Nov-18 20:51:55

Sounds amazing. How long is the course? Is it free? Does it lead to a recognised qualification?

RahRahRooRah Fri 09-Nov-18 22:20:11

I'm interested as a uk small business owner. I employ 10 people, and it is me who is returning after a career break and mat leave!
I also have an employee who has just returned from mat leave - but joined us after her mat leave finished
More info would be great - eligibility and cost?

FelixTitling Fri 09-Nov-18 22:40:34

What about women who've been in low paid / jack of all trade / anything to fit around school type jobs for the last 15 years because they couldn't afford a career break?

isitfridayyet1 Sat 10-Nov-18 11:10:18

Fantastic idea, I recently returned to work after maternity leave of a year and would love the opportunity to potential progress to a management role but few I lack the skills and confidence at the moment so this scheme would be great!

Jaxinthebox Sat 10-Nov-18 23:21:02

I would really like to return to work but find my skills are 'historical' - I can still do the job though, just not up to date with courses/etc. This would be perfect for me. I have relocated to Scotland.
MNHQ, is this still applicable?

KeepCalm Sun 11-Nov-18 06:24:21

@Jaxinthebox am Scotland too And have asked as well. Hopefully @RowanMumsnet will rock up with some answers soon smile

Jaxinthebox Sun 11-Nov-18 11:44:10

hope so @KeepCalm

jewel1968 Sun 11-Nov-18 23:50:20

Could it be gender neutral so anyone returning to work after looking after kids could benefit?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-18 09:10:44

Hello - thank you all so much for the interest and comments. We'll get someone from the team who designed the course to come along and answer ASAP.

OP’s posts: |
MrsMarigold Mon 12-Nov-18 09:16:55

I'm also have interested, I haven't worked for seven years. What is the cost of the course and I do think it's harder if you haven't worked at all to restart, my confidence levels are in my boots and I'm very isolated ( not geographically) but in terms of the working world.

SueMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-18 10:00:17

Hi all - just wanted to jump on and answer some of your questions as I was involved in creating our Leadership Accelerator Programme.

The first thing to say is that it's designed to be a course run by the company you work for - the company has to sign up to send employees on it. The costs are currently under review but it's in the region of £7k-£9k per participant and each company must send a minimum of 20 people on it. The good news is that it can be paid for fully out of a company's apprenticeship levy - which is a fund that we know many companies are struggling to spend.

@redcliff - yes it can be used for women who haven't had a career break - it is designed for any woman (or man) who has taken some time off for parenting reasons - so even if you've had a short maternity leave it applies.

@Rednaxela - yes it's fine for companies to send part-time employees on the course - we can pro-rata the hours per week it takes to complete to suit whatever hours you work.

@KeepCalm - it can only be paid for from the apprenticeship levy if participants live and work in England (because of complex govt rules around this) but firms can pay for it to be delivered to participants from anywhere

@April2020mom - see costs above - the course will last 12 months and yes you get a CMI Certificate in Leadership and Management at the end of it

@RahRahRooRah - because it's been designed to be largely funded from the apprenticeship levy it's mainly targeted at medium-large companies at the moment, but we're looking to see what else we can do for smaller companies

@jewel1968 - it's available to both men and women - anyone who's taken time off for parenting

KeepCalm Mon 12-Nov-18 14:32:50

Sadly am out then sad

Mookatron Wed 14-Nov-18 10:12:01

It's not a programme for women 'returning to work then is it. It's a programme for women who've returned to work. Disappointing click for someone who has as Jaxinthebox describes it historical professional skills but no one who will employ her. Obviously that's fine but can you describe it as such please?

SquishySquirmy Wed 14-Nov-18 19:24:03

I am one month in to a new job.
From your update, it sounds like this wuldn't be quite right for me/my company (small company, would not be enough employees eligible for the scheme and based in Scotland so I don't think the apprenticeship levy applies) but still sounds like a really good initiative.

I suppose with things like this, no single scheme is going to be able to help all women returning/recently returned to work. But I am still glad that it is there, and hope it is helpful to some.

Mookatron Wed 14-Nov-18 21:51:03

Yes. I was a bit grumpy about my millionth unsuccessful job application still (presumably) floating about in the ether. When I worked before it was polite to at least let people know they'd been unsuccessful if they'd interviewed!

It does sound like a good initiative. Sorry MN.

Rednaxela Thu 15-Nov-18 22:17:44

Thanks for answering. Makes me laugh a bit that the company has to send min 20 people on it. That rules out most of my sector (charities) !

Good to see part time workers are welcomed, that is really encouraging.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in