Talk

Advanced search

Questions app forms are allowed

(6 Posts)
Jux Thu 08-Nov-18 20:14:06

DD has finished school, due to ill health has only recently started applying for jobs (she'll go to Uni next October). She's happy with her CV.

She's received an application form froma local business which she feels is very intrusive, says she's never had to answer some of those questions on an application form before, the example I can remember is Gender (seems pretty normal to me assuming they mean Sex); she is also put out that they insist school-leavers provide a reference from their last educational establishment.

As dd got on v badly with her Tutor she feels this will disadvantage her massively (she has ME but her Tutor treated her as if she were merely lazy; dd actually worked incredibly hard, but her attendance was very low due to the ME. Tutor had her jumping through all sorts of hoops which impacted even more on her health, tried to make her turn down the offer from dd's Uni of choice and accept the one from her 'insurance' Uni. DD got really good results anyway, sailed into the first choice Uni, because she worked so hard at home.).

What are prospective employers not supposed to ask? Can they insist on a type of referee - dd has some very good alternate referees.

OP’s posts: |
greendale17 Thu 08-Nov-18 20:16:23

*the example I can remember is Gender (seems pretty normal to me assuming they mean Sex); she is also put out that they insist school-leavers provide a reference from their last educational establishment.*

^Those are completely standards questions

Lazypuppy Thu 08-Nov-18 20:49:40

If this is someones first job of course they ask for a school reference...who else should they ask??

Sex/Gender is completely normal too...

Jux Thu 08-Nov-18 21:15:28

Thanks. She does have other referees, from pt jobs she had, people for whom she's worked on as and when basis etc. For instance, she worked in a Primary for work experience a few years ago but as her own school was across the county border her holdiays weren't the same as theirs, so she continued to help out during her half terms.

flowery Thu 08-Nov-18 21:38:00

It’s perfectly normal and reasonable for an employer to require a reference from most recent educational establishment for school leavers. Not sure how this is “intrusive”?!

Jux Fri 09-Nov-18 00:12:19

Nor am I but in my day you could still be asked what your plans were vis a vis having children so I'm really out of date - I haven't applied for a job in over 20 years!

For all I knew, these were things they were told in phse or equavalent at school. She apparently consulted friends who all said it was intrusive....

Thank you all for your help.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in