Having trouble finding work

(8 Posts)
Leah321 Wed 07-Nov-18 14:39:32

Hello, I have got an 8 month old baby (no one can look afternoon him as I’m bringing him up on my own and I really don’t feel comfortable with putting him in a nursery). I have qualifications in customer service and business & administration ( used to work in a primary school before I had my boy so have a lot of experience with young children) anyone got any ideas for a job I could apply for but I can work from home so I can still look after my baby?
Urgency!!!
Thank you!!! smile

OP’s posts: |
Lazypuppy Wed 07-Nov-18 19:00:49

Normally even if you work from home you can't be looking after a baby at the same time

OoohSmooch Wed 07-Nov-18 19:35:35

I've attempted to work from home with my toddler for half a day (my manager agreed as I put in extra hours!) and let's just say it was hard. Thankfully her 90 minute nap meant I did some work!

What are your worries about a nursery? At first it is a little scary leaving them with someone else but it's so so good for them and gives you time back. I cried at the thought of someone else putting her down for a nap but this was when she was still a baby. When she's a toddler they want their own freedom anyway so it's so easy to leave them. The baby period lasts for one year, that's it. Then they're walking and talking!

Leah321 Wed 07-Nov-18 20:34:10

I’ve just heard bad stories about nurseries and baby sitters, it has just put me off even the thought of it. I haven’t left him any longer than 2 hours a week. You are really lucky your manager has let you do that. I’m doing a course at the moment, the only time I can really do it is when my baby is take a nap too, helps a lot.

Isleepinahedgefund Wed 07-Nov-18 22:52:31

As your child gets older you won't be able to work and have him at home. Toddlers are a whole new ballgame compared to babies - you can't leave them to their own devices whilst you work.

My employer offers home working but specifies that this is not to facilitate childcare in the home, we are expected to have childcare provision for childcare in place. Realistically, as they get older it's easier as they're at school and obviously less dangerous to themselves.

Nurseries and child minders are commonplace now. It's a matter of finding one you're comfortable with.

Your baby is still young - I remember when mine (she's 6 now) was 8 months old, I couldn't fathom leaving her, but by the time she turned 1 and I was due back to work, I welcomed the change and I felt being at nursery 2 days a week was beneficial to her.

Leah321 Thu 08-Nov-18 09:04:31

Okay thank you - helped out loads.

Does make sense that it’ll be helping him out too. just think I’m just nervous leaving him.

Seniorschoolmum Thu 08-Nov-18 09:11:58

I had that feeling too. I looked at the Ofsted list of childminders and went to see about ten.
I found one who had been child minding for 31 years, and had spent 8 years as an Ofsted supervisor.

I took my ds to her house and spent the afternoon there, just watching. He loved it which helped and I knew she would always be the one caring for him. Perhaps try meeting some childminders, take your time to find someone your ds obviously likes. A good childminder won’t object to you visiting several times.
They are generally less expensive than nurseries as well. Good luck.

puzzledlady Thu 08-Nov-18 10:19:02

Very very few managers will allow you to work from home with a young child simply becasue you will not be able to work. I would look for an ofsted registered minder or a good nursery. There will always be good ones are bad ones.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in