Am I being silly?

(10 Posts)
PoetryInMotionK Tue 06-Nov-18 15:47:47

Hi,
I'm not sure if you can help but I'm looking for some neutral advisers...
4 weeks ago I had sudden cardiac arrest and spent a week in hospital having various tests. I have had a heart monitor fitted inside my chest which transmits my data wirelessly to the hospital as they are still undecided about whether or not to fit a pacemaker. I have been told not to drive for 4 weeks and given a sick note for the same length of time. My 4 weeks are almost up.

I have spent my time pottering around at home not doing much in the way of activity. I have been food shopping this week and after carrying my basket around the shop I felt exhausted which I wouldn't have previously. I had to go to parents' evening last week and walking up the stairs left me breathless, sweating and dizzy. I haven't left my house for any length of time because I'm scared that I will faint or have another cardiac arrest. When I hold a normal conversation I find myself coughing which is annoying but also painful because my ribs are still tender and my heart itself hurts.

I am a teacher and I am worried about having an attack in front of the children and I am worried about what I am going to feel like just walking up the stairs into my classroom. I am beginning to feel like a nervous wreck which isn't like me at all.

Am I overreacting?

OP’s posts: |
JeanPagett Tue 06-Nov-18 15:53:52

God no, I don't think you're overreacting by being very concerned about your health following a cardiac arrest!

Can you speak to your doctors about possibly being signed off for longer? I'd mention your recent breathless/dizzy spell and the nature of your job. I'm sure the doctor will be very sympathetic.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

HoleyCoMoley Tue 06-Nov-18 15:55:49

No you are not over reacting at all, you've been through a major trauma, when is your follow up appointment. I would go back to your g.p. or cardiologist as soon as possible and describe your symptoms, take some more time off and ask what the plan is. I hope you feel better soon,

LIZS Tue 06-Nov-18 15:57:23

Sounds like you are not fit to return yet. Go back to gp for a review. Maybe in a few weeks you would be more ready for a phased return.

TwistinMyMelon Tue 06-Nov-18 16:22:07

You need to let the cardiologists know about feeling dizzy etc when exerting yourself. This may dictate whether or not they decide to pace you or not. Tbh I'd be signed off until they've made that decision. What is the time frame for deciding whether on not you need a pacemaker? I am a gp btw. I strongly suggest you discuss this with your own gp rather than posting on here.

GrandmaSharksDentures Tue 06-Nov-18 16:35:55

Agree with above poster, this needs to be discussed with your GP or (ideally) your cardiology team. Can you see someone tomorrow? Do you have CNS team you can contact for advice?

Bombaybunty Tue 06-Nov-18 16:40:51

Go and see your GP, explain the symptoms you're experiencing. Hopefully they'll give you a new fit note for more time off.
You need to speak to your cardiologist about an activity plan. Ideally you should careful increase your activity levels over the next few weeks.
Once you are feeling fitter you should ask to speak with occupational health to implement a phased return to work.
Take things slowly, be kind to yourself.

PoetryInMotionK Tue 06-Nov-18 23:33:13

Thanks everyone for your replies. I plan to get an appointment with my GP tomorrow so I will see what she thinks. The hardworker in me is feeling guilty about how having time off is looking to my headteacher which deep down I know is stupid because if I was advising anyone else I'd be saying put yourself first!

I haven't got a date for a cardiologist appointment yet, I wish one would come through soon though because I think it will help to put my mind at rest.

JeanPagett Tue 06-Nov-18 23:43:25

You sound like a really hardworking and committed employee OP. I promise no one is going to think at all badly of you for taking all the time you need after a major health scare like this 

PoetryInMotionK Wed 07-Nov-18 12:42:56

Thanks everyone, the GP has signed me off for 2 more weeks and suggested a phased return after that which seems much less daunting to me smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in