Restaurant not paying enough tips

(8 Posts)
Catsmother1 Tue 30-Oct-18 22:24:36

I’m new here smile
Basically Dd started a part-time waitress job a month ago in a hotel/restaurant. She works really hard and is kept very busy waiting in restaurant and at functions. It’s not great wages (less than £5 an hr). She was told that all tips are shared between staff. So her first payslip says for 15 hrs work she has only got £1 in tips! This is a pretty busy and fairly expensive restaurant.
I do not believe for one minute that that is the only tips she is entitled to. She is looking for another job, but I’m thinking either she (or I) should ask her employer about this. It doesn’t seem fair. What do you think?

OP’s posts: |
SwizzelsFizzers Wed 31-Oct-18 01:22:28

She was told that all tips are shared between staff

if restaurant tips are shared between all staff that would be room cleaners, desk staff etc.

AnnieOH1 Wed 31-Oct-18 01:25:26

All staff pro-rata to number of hours, so her 15 hours versus the sous chef's 80 or more a week.

MrMagnoliasBoot Wed 31-Oct-18 01:29:49

Are these tips that are done on card? If so a lot of businesses spread it over the whole team that works and the hours they do meaning if you do more hours you get more tips. This also includes the kitchen staff. Cash tips are another matter. Legally any money handed to you as a tip is yours and you can do what you want with. You are also legally meant to declare them, however no one does. Lots of businesses pool them then hand them out, again wrong unless all staff are in agreement, however most people don't know thier rights.

Catsmother1 Wed 31-Oct-18 06:57:40

I didn’t think about the cleaners etc.
Still sounds pretty rubbish at about 9p an hour. She was told she was not allowed to keep cash tips, and she should hand them in so they can be distributed amongst all staff - which she has been doing. Most tips are by card.

topcat2014 Wed 31-Oct-18 06:59:22

But the basic pay is not even NMW?

worridmum Thu 01-Nov-18 13:59:49

she is most likely under the age of 18 so minimum wage is lower is trucking stupid that minimum wage is tiered by age at one point under 25s were paid less but were the hell is the under 25 rent discount food discount bills discount?

25 and over£7.83
21 to 24£7.38
18 to 20£5.90
Under 18 £4.20

here is the list of the current tiers.

But no one would ever dream of paying old people less whom physically cannot do the job anymore but happily pay younger people less its legal discrimination.

Catsmother1 Thu 01-Nov-18 14:17:52

Topcat - she’s under 18, so basic pay is above minimum wage.
Problem now kind of solved, as she’s now been offered a job in a supermarket- pay is much much higher, and no worries about tips. Thanks for the replies.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in