Talk

Advanced search

Been told my job is 'at risk' of redundancy, I'm 26 weeks pregnant and it appears I the only one who is at risk

(8 Posts)
Looloodaisy Mon 29-Oct-18 19:17:01

Hello

First time posting on here, I'm 26 weeks pregnant and I've just been put at risk of redundancy. I've got my 30 day consultation period starting in a few days. I am just looking for advice, here are the main points

a) I believe I am the only one who has been put at risk of redundancy (I work for a very large company who I won't name but they are big)

b) I have seen the planned roles for 2019 and my role is no longer in the plan, there was a vacancy which would have been a step up however they have decided pull that vacancy and to split it into two lower paying roles, so in reality there will be more people not less.

c) They did make a lot of redundancies at the end of last year but I was kept on.

What I am really trying to get is does anyone think there is potential of unfair dismissal and/or pregnancy discrimination especially with me being the only one up for redundancy ?

OP’s posts: |
elastamum Mon 29-Oct-18 19:41:24

Absolutely challenge this. As you are pregnant the onus is on them to prove that you have not been unfairly selected and if you have, you have a strong case for sex discrimination. Go seek legal advice, or talk to your union if you have one.

PalacePalacePalace Mon 29-Oct-18 19:44:47

I faced a similar situation. Go get legal advice, even if you need to pay for it. The 30 days consultation will go very quickly so get everything you can lined up now.

Penguinsetpandas Mon 29-Oct-18 19:48:14

Would look into challenging it with a lawyer or union.

Looloodaisy Mon 29-Oct-18 20:02:12

Thankyou, I'm going to try and get some advice, not in a union unfortunately. I was part of a much larger consultation last year which was over a longer period of time but it was over so quickly.

OP’s posts: |
KaroB Thu 01-Nov-18 20:16:24

No advice to offer but sending sympathy. My work announced redundancies today & I'm 23 weeks pregnant. Thankfully I'm not in the pool this time but I'm already worrying about there being more cuts in the pipeline as we had a similar situation 18mths ago and nothing seems to have improved. Just not what you need with a baby on the way...
Have you read up on the appeals process etc? We were also told we could bring anyone we wanted to the consultation interview so maybe start thinking about who the best person to bring is v

HoneyWheeler Thu 01-Nov-18 20:19:47

Get in contact with Pregnant than Screwed - they have a free legal helpline. This sounds dodgy.

greencatbluecat Thu 01-Nov-18 20:34:46

This does sound dodgy. I was made redundant (many years ago) while on maternity leave. I happened to know an employment lawyer who negotiated everything for me, including her fee.

Incidentally, I was a member of a union but they were absolutely useless.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in