Talk

Advanced search

Can I be fired for not doing something not on my job description?

(10 Posts)
Star4567 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:36:36

Currently in a probation period at a new job. Job description given to me has two pages, listing out the duties and expectations required.

I begin the job, and find there's another thing expected of me, something I would find difficult to do without a bit of experience/training.

I'm worried not being able to do this will be grounds for dismissal, but I feel it isn't fair as it wasn't on my original job description (but is on the job description for the role above mine).

Does anyone know the answer?

OP’s posts: |
BigBadBarryatemyboat Sun 21-Oct-18 16:43:24

Does it state anything like " any other duties required". Most job descriptions I have had usually stipulate something like that or as per managers request. Job descriptions are not exhaustive and usually don't cover absolutely everything. By all means ask for the training to complete the task but I presume your manager will expect you to do as requested.

HerRoyalNotness Sun 21-Oct-18 16:45:28

I think they can let you go for any reason under 2yrs can’t they?

Be proactive, approach your manager and ask for training for the new task as you haven’t done it before and want to be successful at it.

Star4567 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:45:34

It does, but it's quite a big task (it's not something small like, make the tea or answer phones). It is also explicitly stated in the job description for the roles above mine.

OP’s posts: |
Wordsandpictures Sun 21-Oct-18 16:48:45

I would tell your manager that you require training in the additional task as it is not something you have experience of. Your manager should have no problem with this request. I work in retail, not somewhere renown for making training a high priority but I KNOW that if I say that I cannot currently fulfil a particular role/task until I have been trained then it will not be held against me.

Meandyoumake2 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:53:03

How different is it to your own role? Is it an extension of your role? And with training could you complete it?

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sun 21-Oct-18 16:53:26

Read the end of your job description - as a PP has said, they almost always end with "and any other duties required". I wouldn't get hung up about whether the duty has been part of another role, that is not unusual. I would be looking more at your workload and the training/support required to add this new task, and whether it is reasonable overall.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sun 21-Oct-18 16:56:05

Also btw I have several times progressed jobwise by doing work which rightly belonged to someone senior, because I could then show I had already done that. Obviously I had the workload
capacity though.

flowery Sun 21-Oct-18 18:59:16

As you’ve been there such a short time they don’t need grounds for dismissal, they can just give you notice. They could also just add this to your job description if they wanted, and in any case job descriptions are usually non-exhaustive.

So instead I would focus on what support/training you’ll need to do this new task, rather than worrying about minor details like is it written on your job description.

Belleende Sun 21-Oct-18 19:22:19

If you do raise this I would advise against the starting point being that this task is not in your JD. I would say it is something you would need training on before being confident in taking it on. If you go in with the JD angle it sounds like you would not welcome challenge and stretch.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in