New job not working out... leave now or wait?

(5 Posts)
Sadcat1 Wed 17-Oct-18 08:30:38

Daisy I think she means it's been such a short period that if she left now she could just leave it off her CV altogether.

OP, looking again, I missed the bit about needing the rental income to manage if your DH got a job. I really would just start looking and grit your teeth. What if your tenant leaves at short notice?

daisychain01 Wed 17-Oct-18 04:54:22

2 months was just an example for "however long it takes to find a new job and serve notice"

daisychain01 Wed 17-Oct-18 04:53:23

I don't get the logic here OP:

I could wait it out but the longer I stay here the more I will have to explain it on my CV

What exactly would you have to explain on your CV about being in paid employment 2 months longer than if you left now? I'd have said if you leave now you'll have to do some explaining - rather than searching for new employment while you're in your current job.

Sadcat1 Tue 16-Oct-18 16:02:41

Sorry to hear you're not happy at work. I'm in a roughly similar situation where I want to leave a fairly new job.

I would say get looking now and leave when you find something else as it may take your DH some time to find and start a new role (pre employment checks etc).

As per what to say for 'reason for leaving', I don't have any brilliant advice but if it is more junior work than was advertised, maybe you could be honest about this, obviously not criticising the employer, and speaking positively about the roles you apply for and how they would be a better fit?

PrincessDando Mon 15-Oct-18 11:51:23

I started a new job two months ago and let's just say it's not what I thought it would be and its not working out. The work is too junior, and I'm left on my own with nothing to do much of the time with little contact from anyone, so it's very isolating and boring.

This is not a thread about whether I try and make it work or not, I've already decide it's not for me.

I'm just wondering whether I'm better to stay and wait for the right thing to come along, which may take a few months or leave now and cut my losses.

Husband has been a SAHD but was planning on going back to work as youngest is now in school so he's currently looking. So if he found something I could quit tomorrow as we could get by (short term) on one person earning plus rental income from a property.

I could wait it out but the longer I stay here the more I will have to explain it on my CV.. whereas if I get out now I can just extend my 'sabbatical' and not have to explain it? I have a stable work history prior to this role.

Then again am I best to wait it out on the market whilst I am still working, even though that could take some time?

I'm feeling very demoralised and like my heart is no longer in it as it's not the role I believed I was taking.. but I need to do the best thing longer term so that I don't go from one fucked up situation to another.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in