Talk

Advanced search

Grievance process and promotion

(18 Posts)
FTFF Thu 04-Oct-18 11:42:41

Without saying too much, Would taking a grievance out against senior managers have any impact on a promotion application or negatively impact on a career.

OP’s posts: |
greendale17 Thu 04-Oct-18 11:43:28

It shouldn’t but in the real world you will be labelled a trouble maker and your card will be marked.

namechange4000 Thu 04-Oct-18 11:48:33

Agree. They would expect you to be able to resolve difficulties with other colleagues, at any level, by yourself. If you need to get HR to referee then those more senior will only hear your bosses version of events.

FTFF Thu 04-Oct-18 12:22:25

Thank you. Just confirmed what I was thinking. Being encouraged by my immediate manager and HR To commence a grievance process on my managers boss and others more senior but I'm very reluctant to do it for all the reasons listed. Its a very frustrating situation

HoleyCoMoley Thu 04-Oct-18 14:11:19

I would be wary of my manager and h.r, wanting me to start a grievance against their boss, let them do it.

FTFF Thu 04-Oct-18 16:04:50

The issue relates to me and something I'm entitled to but not being given purely on thus in persons say so. Any grievance ( in this instance) needs to be raised by me with them as witnesses but I'm so reluctant to take it that far.

OliviaStabler Thu 04-Oct-18 16:44:07

They may want you to take out the grievance so they can get rid of that person but the trouble is, you then look like the trouble maker, not them!

FTFF Thu 04-Oct-18 18:38:11

That's my biggest fear.
Essentially I'm only fighting to get what I'm entitled to but I think I can assume that if any grievance is put in I'd be viewed negatively and it would impact any personal development.

It's so frustrating; The only way to sort it is to go down the grievance route but that's also a sure fire way to never advance and to become public enemy no1.

namechange4000 Fri 05-Oct-18 09:45:26

Can you set up an 'informal' meeting between you, HR and the senior manager. To clarify entitlement or discretionary etc. Then work to resolve the issue without a formal grievance taking place. I think that's probably the best you can be expected to do.

FTFF Fri 05-Oct-18 16:56:50

Unfortunately he's a very unreasonable person and will refuses to speak face to face, will only communicate via email and refuses to talk to me about anything. It's a ridiculous situation in which his senior boss 2levees above him have confirmed I can have what I have asked for but he still refuses to budge. I can see why a grievance would/should be put in. I'm just reluctant to do it for fear of reprisals (yes he's that petty) so ultimately his behaviour will go unchallenged which is frustrating for everyone involved

soupmaker Fri 05-Oct-18 17:02:19

This is how completely unreasonable bastards get away with it. I also completely understand your reasons for not taking out the grievance. Are you unionised at work?

fabulousathome Tue 09-Oct-18 09:26:54

Start looking for a new job?

FTFF Tue 09-Oct-18 14:51:31

Following an announcement today I will definitely be looking for another job.
A daunting prospect after 16 years but a 10k pay-cut does not make me want to stay, especially when the job description is being expanded, not reduced inline with the pay decrease.

I am in a union, however they are useless and just refer me back to the grievance process and offer no advice. It's a frustrating situation all round.

kingofthemountains Tue 09-Oct-18 15:00:36

I wonder if you work where I do @FTFF - big change programme here and expecting a pay cut.

Nothing to add to your post I'm sorry but sympathy on the paycut

FTFF Tue 09-Oct-18 15:36:49

@kingofthemountains it's a rubbish situation all round. We've been threatened with pay cuts before but due to the nature of the job the salary has been argued for and remained in place. It's now a nationalised area of business so because somewhere else gets paid less we do too, despite the tasks carried out being vastly different. It's also frustrating that we work alongside others (doing the same job) with different terms and conditions and a different job title who will remain on their inflated salary angry
It's not a nice place to work at the moment and it's only going to get worse.

I really feel for other people in this situation.

FTFF Sun 21-Oct-18 20:11:06

UPDATE

So today, after a meeting with senior management (above the clown manager!)
They have now given me what I'm entitled to. Each manager is blaming each other for the initial issues but after presenting them with the documentation confirming I was right, they have relented and apologised.

I was asked if I would've taken it to a grievance! I skirted round that and didn't give them an answer either way.

soupmaker Mon 22-Oct-18 06:51:17

Good. Sounds like a complete result.

OliviaStabler Mon 22-Oct-18 06:57:29

That's good news OP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in