Talk

Advanced search

Unpaid Training

(5 Posts)
TrainingHelpNeeded Thu 27-Sep-18 20:31:10

I work 15 hours a week for a local authority, salaried but I do have a stated hourly rate. I've worked for them for 15 years.

My employer wants me to do a long distance learning course through a local college.

The course states 120 hours, but in reality it should take about 30 hours (I've completed similar before).

I have to complete the course in my own time as the nature of my job means I cannot complete it during my working day.

My employer has offered to pay me 10 hours for the time spent completing the course. This will leave me 'working' unpaid for 20 hours on a course that I wouldn't choose to do in my own time if work didn't require it.

I work in a basic pay job, there are no real career prospects (promotions etc are very unlikely). My hourly rate is slightly higher than minimum wage.

My contract states nothing about unpaid training and all other 'in house' or training course are paid.

Is it legal or right for them to only pay me 8 of 30 hours for this training? Everything I've read so far says it's not legal. This is the 4th course like this I'm expected to do (unpaid) and I feel like I'm being taken for a ride now.

OP’s posts: |
HouseOfGoldandBones Thu 27-Sep-18 20:39:29

If the course states 120 hours, and your employer is offering to pay you for 10 hours, then you'll be working 110 hours unpaid.

If you were planning to do this over a 10 week period, then you would factor in an additional 11 hours per week. Work out if that takes you under minimum wage. If it does, your employer would be breaking the law, and could be given a massive fine.

Rachelsholiday Thu 27-Sep-18 22:00:10

^ what gold said

flowery Fri 28-Sep-18 17:01:24

Is it compulsory?

TrainingHelpNeeded Fri 28-Sep-18 17:19:08

It's been put down as a target for my PDR. From that I assume it's compulsory or otherwise I will essentially fail my PDR objectives this year

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in