Talk

Advanced search

Suspended at work

(19 Posts)
Catann76 Mon 24-Sep-18 18:21:16

Got called to hr and questioned over an investigation what's going off and told to not talk anyone and keep away from people involved. I went back to everyone asking me and the person who been investigated approached me asking what's going off and why I'm not speaking to them I just said I've done nothing wrong and can't talk she she flipped and ran off to manager saying what's going off and then I got suspended for talking to her when I didn't. I also have 2 witnesses which they have not questioned. Never had any discipline or ought in my life. Could I lose my job through this?

OP’s posts: |
HoleyCoMoley Mon 24-Sep-18 21:23:48

How did everyone know you had been called to h.r. Are you in a union, you need advice from someone.

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Mon 24-Sep-18 21:31:03

That was kind of hard to follow. Let me get it straight. Person A is being investigated. You were interviewed as part of the investigation but you're not involved in any wrongdoing. You were told not to talk about the investigation or to person A. You went back to your desk and person A approached you and asked about what was going on. You said you couldn't talk to her. She complained to manager and now you've been suspended? Well, that's entirely their fault. They shouldn't leave you to work in an environment with someone you are not allowed contact with. If she is being investigated then she should not be there at all as it can influence others and leave you vulnerable. They can't sack you for this. Fight your corner in your disciplinary. You are allowed to bring A colleague so take one of your witnesses and they will back up that you did nothing wrong. If you have a union then let the rep lead you in how to progress. If not then follow company procedure but don't let them bully you.

Lucy001 Mon 24-Sep-18 22:29:03

I also can't understand this. Why would you say that you've done nothing wrong - that's an immediate red flag. You were told to say nothing. Why didn't you just say nothing at all?

daisychain01 Mon 24-Sep-18 22:41:06

You wouldn't have been suspended for interacting with a colleague. That wouldn't make business sense. You might have been suspended for not doing as you were told, which was not to enter into a discussion about the matter under investigation.

Catann76 Tue 25-Sep-18 07:26:18

My suspension form says having discussion with a colleague during ongoing investigation. I got took her and questioned over an incident. The person who it's about is a bully and everyone is scared of her but I've known her a lot years as I worked in previous job and she is one of the reasons I left. I've worked here now for 5 years she been there 6 months. She came to me asking me why I got pulled and what I said bearing in mind I'd moved to a different section and I said couldn't say and she was saying she was my friend then flipped and ran off screaming to a manager no one talking to her and that I think she done something and then I got suspended for discussion with colleague and I've 3 witnesses who they have not interviewed as yet.

Catann76 Tue 25-Sep-18 07:28:44

They came at 8.20 to go to hr in front people and age was one of them and I was gone 1 hour and when came back they knew I'd been crying and I just moved new section and she sent her friend over 3 times to me then in end came over herself

BlueBug45 Tue 25-Sep-18 07:38:03

So the woman was trying to bully and intimate you and as a result you got suspended. As a PP stated if you are in a union talk to your rep urgently. If you aren't record what happened in a letter. Unlike your post here make sure it is understandable. Get someone - either a family member, friend or acquaintance - who is not involved at all and knows no one at your workplace to review it for you. Then decide if you want to raise the issue as a grievance over why you were suspended when the bully is now trying to intimate you. If you do modify the letter so it is clear you are raising a grievance over your workplace allowing the woman to intimidate and bully you.

Catann76 Tue 25-Sep-18 08:05:41

Thankyou for your reply. I've never had a discipline or a late or nothing. The lady in question is also saying every manager there is bullying her and everyone against her s

KTC19 Wed 26-Sep-18 18:33:10

Do you have a representation? I would always say never go though a disciplinary without it. It doesn’t need to be a union but does need to be someone experienced in these matters. As hard as it is to hear this they are right to suspend you because you talked about the case... however... they were harsh in doing so because of the content of what you said. They are clearly demonstrating to all that they are taking this case very seriously. They want to stop gossip and unfortunately you became the fall guy.
It is unlikely that anything will come from your suspension - it should be in full play and you should be informed of progress, meeting dates and their suggestion as to when they intend to quickly resolve it.
Message me if you need other help x

youarenotkiddingme Wed 26-Sep-18 18:46:16

Can you email HR?

Dear HR,

Could you clarify the reason for my current suspension?

At 8.20am you asked for me to attend a meeting in front of collegues (name them).

I was asked questions and told not to discuss the reason for the meeting with colleagues or have contact with X.

X, y and z colleague approached me and I informed them I couldn't discuss the content of the meeting.

Colleague A approached me and asked me personally what was discussed. I informed her I couldn't discuss it with her and continued with my work.

I understand colleague A then approached you?

I am now suspended for "discussing a matter I was told not to discuss".

This is not the case and if you talk to colleagues X y and z they can confirm this.

I look forward to your response.

I understand your upset and worried but your posts come across as wordy and this can be unhelpful in face to face situations because it can seem like the "doth protest too much". FWIW I think you've been shafted badly (taking what you've said at face value) but need to use the "less is more" approach in dealing with this in how you communicate. Stick to the pure facts.

Best of luck. Sounds very difficult.

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Wed 26-Sep-18 18:47:25

Why were you crying? Have you done something and are part of the investigation? Or is this investigation purely about this woman and they interviewed you to get information on her actions?

I don't want to sound rude so I am sorry, but you are not expressing yourself very well on here. Before you speak to your managers in a disciplinary you need to get you story clear. Be very clear about what happened and explain the entire situation. Because being muddled will only make it harder for them to get a clear picture.

Catann76 Thu 27-Sep-18 13:22:07

I was told at 8.20 go to hr which I did. When there I was questioned about a letter of resignation what had been put in for a friend. I told them I knew nothing and was told go back to work but don't speak about it yet I was working next to the women in question. I went back got my stuff and moved total new sections. I was crying and upset due to this woman bringing me into it as I've been a very good friend and felt very let down. Never had a discipline or done for anything before. In my lunch she text me asking why I've moved and ignoring her plus asking others. I went back work after dinner and went to a manager saying she been texting me and that she asking other people what's going off and that she will approach me and the manager basically said go away it's telling tales. I went back bench them a girl came across saying what's happening and my reply was can't say then after 12 the actual women in question came across asking why I moved from her and what as she done me and she upset and she done nothing wrong. My reply was I've done nothing wrong to you and been a good friend and I know nothing about ought what's happened you last few months and that letter she then screamed I know you haven't so why move and she said you think I've said it's you. I never answered her and a friend said go away so she went screaming to a manager saying I don't think it's her who said it is then 30 mins later I was suspended. I told the manager at 11 she would approach me and she wouldn't not intervene. The women in question is a known bully and makes any threats so intimidates there even the manager I went to.

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Thu 27-Sep-18 14:27:16

That's really hard to follow.

But from what I understand, you were questioned. Then started crying because they questioned you? They will need to question everyone; no one was blaming you but that's how investigations work. Then you made a big show of yourself by crying and packing up and moving desks? And there was no reason for that.

You could have just gone back to your desk and said they needed to talk to you about holiday entitlement or something and then got back to normal chat and back to work. But you made a scene with the crying and it does sound like you engaged that woman with talk on the topic... which you were not allowed to do. You'll have to argue that you should never have been out in that position in the first place. But the crying and moving yourself off to another desk seem to be what caused her to start asking you. If you'd just gone back to work, nothing would have happened.

Catann76 Thu 27-Sep-18 14:45:55

15 years I've know that woman and for them today she accused me off been part of the letter was absolutely devastating. I'm under doctor on any depressants which is nothing to do with this case and as had lots personal family problems now this. I cried because I was sad,mad and shocked then told go back work yet she next to me and surely the shouldn't be right. I have take union advice which they said I should have been removed from there and when I went saying she was pestering they should have told her stay away. A work place should not expect 2 people work side by side if there's an allegation made

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Thu 27-Sep-18 15:47:29

Are you sure she accused you? Anytime we've had investigations at work, they question everyone in the team or anyone who is particularly close to the one being investigated. It may not have been her who accused you.

They should not have put you in that position. It's their job to manage the staff and keep you separated if there is an incident and they didn't do that. You will be able to argue that you should never have been put in that position and they should have told her not to speak to you, rather than expecting you to do it. Or simply sit there silently while she spoke at you - no one can work like that.

You should be fine.

Catann76 Thu 27-Sep-18 16:16:11

They actually said her name and said she thinks it's you which shocked me but she is adamant she but said ought and don't know where it's come from. I'm taking it further with union as I'm unfairly suspended and they have put in me in that position. Thankyou for your help

Fiffyshadesofgreymatter Thu 27-Sep-18 17:22:44

Who the hell do you work for?!?! I can't believe they've said that. They should say "we've had a complaint from another employee who has said you were involved". They shouldn't tell you the name!

That, on top of sending you out to sit next to her... did they hire the cheapest HR people they could find!

Good luck. I can't imagine them winning a dismissal case with this.

Catann76 Thu 27-Sep-18 17:52:42

Thankyou and I will update as soon as I know more. Thankyou everyone and unite as told me I'll be fine and too many discrepancies and not abided by the law.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in