Teaching - too stressful

(20 Posts)
Marjie3 Sun 23-Sep-18 16:56:40

Teaching is so stressful and I would like to change career. Anyone else out there who has come out if teaching without regret? Would love some inspiration!

OP’s posts: |
AdventuringThroughLife Sun 23-Sep-18 16:58:04

Ive not regretted leaving. I no longer get The Fear and its taken me a long time to get over the bizarre stressload teaching is.

However I regret not sorring out another career...

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Sun 23-Sep-18 16:59:52

Wish l could get out too. These threads are always full of people who want to leave. It’s really hard to find a non teaching job without taking a significant pay cut. That’s what l found out anyeay

Finfintytint Sun 23-Sep-18 17:01:10

OP, I've answered on your other thread. I think you have posted it twice. You can ask MNHQ to remove one if you report one of the threads.

fudlite Sun 23-Sep-18 17:01:21

What is it about teaching you find stressful?

Merlincat07 Sun 23-Sep-18 17:06:56

I left at Feb half term and have not looked back. My only regret is that I didn't do it much, much sooner. I had to take a significant pay cut but if you can work the finances I suggest you go for it. Key things for me, as somewhere said earlier no longer have THE FEAR. I don't feel stressed all of the time. I go to work, do my job, then come home. The bonus is that I really enjoy it and get to have nice/fun adult conversations throughout the day and can wander off to get coffee whenever I want.

Mrskeats Sun 23-Sep-18 17:08:53

I have left to be self employed. I’m a tutor and editor and earn more than I did and am not stressed at all anymore.

otterturk Sun 23-Sep-18 17:09:12

Are the people talking about pay cuts quite senior? Teaching is not a career I would consider well paid...

Finfintytint Sun 23-Sep-18 17:12:12

I took a £6k pa pay cut but I was nearing the end of the scale and started a new career at the beginning of that scale. Teaching is not lucrative but it's not a bad wage.

AdventuringThroughLife Sun 23-Sep-18 17:12:40

Well - what can you move onto thats vetter paid? Its 30grandish and you cant walk into another role on that pay. If you retrain in another profession (i considered OT) ypu pay to train for 3 years and start back at the bottom scale on 22iish. With a family many cant afford to do that.

Most advertised council jobs or local jobs are either minimum wage or admin 18-22 but requiring recent admin experience.

It feels a bit of a trap in teaching. Often well educated graduates but how do you find something even equally well paid never mind better!!

otterturk Sun 23-Sep-18 17:15:29

I guess it depends where you're based. I'm on twice that in a mid level role in London that is nowhere near as stressful, demanding etc than teaching! I always wondered why on earth anyone would do such a valuable but exhausting f/t position for often <£30k. Hats off to all who do.

AdventuringThroughLife Sun 23-Sep-18 17:24:59

Would you employ a person with a good degree but their 10 years + experience is in teaching though?

And if so what area do you work in?!

I dont think I particularly though about differences in salary at 21. Or was aware i potentially could earn twice as much doing less. I certainly dont know many people on 60k (and could do with help advising my kids into better paid work if they want it as most of my graduate friends are now teachers/Ots/ police etc.

AdventuringThroughLife Sun 23-Sep-18 17:26:07

Very few people choosing teaching are aware how tough it turns out to be. Most arent afraid of hard work. And it has changed so much in the last 10 years

Finfintytint Sun 23-Sep-18 17:30:08

Yes, teaching has changed. I left 20 odd years ago because I was underchallenged and,if honest, a bit bored. I know now I wouldn't last five minutes if I re-entered teaching.

Themidnightcircus Sun 23-Sep-18 17:34:00

I'd love to leave... but unfortunately I work part time and it fits childcare fantastically.
If I could find a job that paid the same for the same hours I would chuck it.
Those saying it's not well paid if you looked at it with losing the holiday entitlement you'd probably need a job that pays around 10k more wouldn't you? Ie you wouldn't want to continue at 30k with 8 weeks less holidays in the year....

LosingNemo Sun 23-Sep-18 17:36:17

I had two opportunities recently to leave mainstream teaching. One was to go into educational recruitment, the other was to go into a sixth form college. The college is discounted (pay too low even though it was a much more senior role, longer hours, feewer holidays. Basically not worth it). The other was educational recruitment. I was sorely tempted but have decided to stick it out for the fact that the holidays are convenient until the kids are old enough to be left. Now it’s September again I’m not sure if I made the right decision. Anyway my point is, you could look into educational recruitment.
I totally get why you’re stressed. It’s a ridiculous job (although I love the teaching bit). When the kids are older I’m out of there!!

fudlite Sun 23-Sep-18 17:43:40

I earn 45000 as HOD otter, I doubt I’d be able to earn that anywhere else tbh.

LOVELYDOVEY05 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:44:51

Why not change school? Sometimes a change is as good as a rest. Is it the bad pupil behaviour that you find difficult? Perhaps with good experience behind you you could go to a better school? Changing career is possible but it can depend on your degree subject For example if you have a degree in Maths then things look brighter.
Could you start retraining now? What about working overseas?
You would be much more appreciated than in this country.

cuddlymunchkin Mon 24-Sep-18 15:05:26

I left last academic year. I was a deputy head. I knew I wanted to leave and put the leg work into looking at job sites (I suggest The Guardian, the civil service etc) and tailored my cv - a huge number of transferable skills. Eg managing a team if people, leading a new initiative, reporting on outcomes, using data - so many! It's all about marketing yourself and putting in the time to find a job you feel is right.
I would suggest looking at adverts first, then look at your skills,cv and covering letter. Then interview skills - look up egs on the Internet, same for aptitude tests etc.
It's all about having the confidence in yourself and persuading someone else that you're great.
I found a great job, I also do a bit of tutoring just to keep my hand in but will probably give that up in the summer when they sit their GCSEs.
Be positive! Do the research! Have confidence in your own skill set! A new (and better) work life awaits.

Marjie3 Thu 27-Sep-18 22:09:54

Great response thanks - it's good to know a lot of other teachers feel the same. Ar work it just seems that everyone is coping apart from me - I'm sure they put on a bit of a front. Would love to be brave enough to start my own business in nutrition or fitness but it's such a gamble. A full time nutritionist in primary schools - you never know, maybe one day!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in