Talk

Advanced search

NHS job application advice

(7 Posts)
NewMeStartsHere Wed 12-Sep-18 21:33:26

Not sure this is posted in the best place so apologies if not.

I have seen an NHS job that I'm interested in applying for. It's a senior management admin post and I'm currently in a similar role (same job title) within the public sector.

I meet the criteria with the exception of one essential which is a masters degree. Does anyone know if this would completely rule me out at shortlist stage? My company exercise discretion if the application is otherwise sound but I know this isn't always the case.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Tobuyornot99 Wed 12-Sep-18 21:34:37

It's definitely flexible, I know people without a solid BSc in MSc jobs!

SauvignonBlanche Wed 12-Sep-18 21:36:27

Under Agenda for Change rules you can evidence ‘equivalent knowledge and experience’. Is it listed as essential or desirable?

Stormzyandme Wed 12-Sep-18 21:37:52

I would definately apply.

You have to give an example of how you meet every one of the essential requirements.

Im sure if you give 9/10 examples of how you can absolutely meet the essentials, then you would stand a chance of being shortlisted.

They may still offer you the position as a progressive post.

I would give examples from the desirable list as well, if relevant.

Good luck flowers

NewMeStartsHere Wed 12-Sep-18 21:44:30

Thanks for such quick responses,

I'd be happy with a progressive post, it's how I got to my current post and I'm confident I have the relevant experience to undertake the role.

Thanks for the confidence boost. I will apply!

OP’s posts: |
HearMeSnore Wed 12-Sep-18 22:02:31

Oh definitely apply! In my department (also NHS) there are 5 senior staff in roles that - on paper - require an MSc or at least a post graduate diploma. None of them have an MSc, and only 2 have the PGdip.

If a higher degree is truly considered essential, they may offer the job at a lower grade, send you on a masters course (all expenses paid) and then upgrade you.

bebesequin Fri 14-Sep-18 19:50:50

The nhs frequently fudges requirements to make the applicant fit the post.

Seen it countless times.

So go for it.....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in