Talk

Advanced search

Being ‘headhunted’ within a company-how to proceed?

(8 Posts)
Oscha Tue 21-Aug-18 18:27:34

DH has worked in Team A for 5 years, at a biggish company. He loves the company but there’s not much further scope for promotion within his team. (He’s climbed a lot in the years he’s been there.)

Boss of Team B has approached him to ask him to apply for a vacancy in her team. It would be a big promotion.

He is interested but doesn’t know what the done thing is now. Should he tell the boss of Team A that Team B boss has done this and that he wants to apply? He doesn’t want to upset either boss.

OP’s posts: |
LordEmsworth Tue 21-Aug-18 18:34:22

I don't really understand why there's a dilemma, why wouldn't he speak to his boss? Is there something you're not telling us?

I would tell my current boss in that position (in fact I did, when I was in a similar position). And if one of my team told me this, I'd be delighted for them and help them to prep their application and interview.

Oscha Tue 21-Aug-18 18:39:49

No there’s not anything I’m not telling you 😆 he just doesn’t want to seem like he’s being disloyal I suppose? And if he applies but doesn’t get it, he doesn’t want his current boss to think less of him/think he’s not committed?

Boyskeepswinging Tue 21-Aug-18 19:24:53

Any decent boss would be flattered and delighted that their staff were so highly regarded. I have, however, first hand experience of less effective bosses who would go ballistic, basically because their "go to" person wouldn't be there anymore for them, covering their ass. The reaction your DH gets when he tells his boss will tell him all he needs to know.
I hung around far too long before I sussed out what was going on - tell your DH to grab the opportunity with both hands. Life is too short to waste your talents because you might upset someone.

daisychain01 Wed 22-Aug-18 05:16:51

Doesn't your DHs employer have a processmfor internal moves/transfers? People are the lifeblood of any organisation and whilst you may get individuals who are so incompetent that they cannot countenance their staff wanting to develop their career, the organisation gains significantly from people moving around and bring cross transferable knowledge with them from previous roles.

Normal process is to apply for a role and if accepted for an interview, only then he'd need to advise his manager that he is attending an interview, as it increases transparency regarding his intentions, in case recruitment for his replacement needs to be put in place eventually.

If he's already been promoted before, he should be used to managing the expectations of management and not overinvesting in whether his boss is "upset". They'll have to get over it (the boss, that is).

Thatsfuckingshit Wed 22-Aug-18 05:22:05

I have never had a job where I wouldn't have told my boss that I was applying for a promotion.

A decent boss would be happy and supportive. Whilst I love my team and because of that, I am happy for them to pursue what makes them happy.

HoppingPavlova Wed 22-Aug-18 05:35:55

Every place I have ever worked for, be it govnt or private has had a protocol where you need to inform your current manager if you are applying for another job in the organisation. Also, in some places (not all) there have been time limits on applying for other roles, usually you needed to have been in the role for 12 months before applying for another role but again that's not all places.

Oscha Wed 22-Aug-18 10:34:42

Thanks all. I think he’s overthinking it a bit.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in