Talk

Advanced search

Thank you email after interview?

(14 Posts)
Boyskeepswinging Tue 21-Aug-18 18:20:25

Is it a bit tacky/American/arse licky to send a Thank You email after an interview or is it The Done Thing these days? I interview quite a bit and have never received one (maybe I am a shit interviewer grin)

Was on the other side of the desk today and had a lovely interview - will the hiring manager think I'm arse licking if I send a Thank You email or should I not bother?

OP’s posts: |
HannahHut Tue 21-Aug-18 18:21:51

My initial thought is "oh god no" 😂😂

Hamandcheesebaguette Tue 21-Aug-18 18:22:51

I recruit and I don't like it to be honest.

What am I meant to do with it?! Should I reply? Delete?

Plus it will not affect if you'll be successful or not in my organisation anyway.

Thiswayorthatway Tue 21-Aug-18 18:24:12

No, it's cringeworthty.

DorothyGarrod Tue 21-Aug-18 18:25:48

No, it will look needy. You can thank them for the opportunity when you hear whether you have got it/haven’t got it.

xoguineas Tue 21-Aug-18 18:35:48

Multiple careers advisors at uni told me that this is the done thing and can set you above other applicants. I always thought it seemed very cringe and over the top, but then the one time I tried it (desperate for the job) I was hired.

Boyskeepswinging Tue 21-Aug-18 19:15:20

Sounds like it may be OK for graduate entry level jobs but not for those of us who started work when Telex was our main mode of communication. I just wanted to check because it felt a bit naff to me but if everyone else is doing it ...
Many thanks for your replies!

LittleMissedTheSunshine Sun 26-Aug-18 14:32:05

I think its naff and would think slightly less of a candidate who sent one, although if they were the right person for the job it wouldn't stop me offering.

The one thing I hate when interviewing is when candidates try to go outside the box and do things they've not been asked to, in an attempt to set themselves apart from others. It makes me feel like they're trying to pressurise/manipulate me into treating them differently and giving them the job. I want to be in control of the assessment and decision making process, thank you.

I

mumofone234 Sun 26-Aug-18 14:47:18

I’ve been recruiting lately and had a couple of these emails - I don’t personally think it’s necessary and it doesn’t make me think any more highly of the candidate. If I didn’t feel the interview went that well it actually makes me feel awkward too. I also had a candidate add me on LinkedIn beforehand, which I thought was odd and inappropriate.

Polarbearflavour Sun 26-Aug-18 17:38:18

In the USA they send thank you cards after interviews! hmm

Boyskeepswinging Sun 26-Aug-18 18:20:26

Gosh! Things seem very different in the USA ... two weeks' notice is bandied about as being standard. In my industry 3 months is standard and I know others where it is longer!

butlerswharf Sun 26-Aug-18 18:57:16

Don't do it!

Timeforabiscuit Sun 26-Aug-18 19:02:14

Maybe its dependent on your sector? DH is in social media marketing, if he didnt connect up on LinkedIn it would be a mark against hiring him.

Margaurette Mon 27-Aug-18 06:49:19

Connecting on LinkedIn is fine (I'd actually expect candidates to do this beforehand as part of their research. Most of the ones I interview do).

My instinctive reaction to an email afterwards is No. It's arselicky, and puts a burden on me to either respond (but what on earth do I say?), or ignore and feel rude.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in