Talk

Advanced search

Digital Marketing well paid jobs

(9 Posts)
Loz90333 Sat 18-Aug-18 11:04:55

Hi Everyone,

I'm due to finish a Digital Marketing degree in July 2019 and currently (hopefully) on track to get a first.

I've managed to get myself into a right mess financially and really want to get a well paid digital marketing/ marketing job after I graduate.

I just wondered if anyone worked in the field and could suggest industries that pay well for this?

I'm trying to make myself as employable as I can by getting a good degree classification and doing extra marketing qualifications that I can add to my CV. Are there any specific courses you would recommend that are considered valuable in marketing? I've done my CIM introductory certificate and professional certificate as well as a google marketing qualification, but keen to do as many as I can.

Thank you in advance.

OP’s posts: |
BlaaBlaaBlaa Sat 18-Aug-18 11:09:05

Does your university offer any opportunities for you to get involved in their digital marketing as a student? My university employs students to write blogs, develop content for social media and promote open days etc. That would give you some practical experience plus many of these students have ended up working for the uni when they've graduated.

swirlyswirl Sat 18-Aug-18 11:12:57

I wouldn't do too many extra courses, focus on getting practical experience - you'll be more employable if you can show that you know how to do things than if you show you know the theory of how to do them.

Is there anything you could build your own website for and optimise using analytics, any local charities or events you could do the same for or help with their social channels?

fiorentina Sat 18-Aug-18 12:46:32

I employ digital marketing colleagues in my team within financial services marketing. The pay there is quite good but you’d need to really demonstrate an understanding of finance too at a basic level.

Can you start your own blog and Instagram to showcase your work in an area that interests you? You need to demonstrate how you attract and engage followers, as ultimately that’s what a business is looking for to benefit from digital. You essentially need a portfolio in many ways.

HipHopTheHippieToTheHipHipHop Sun 19-Aug-18 19:40:12

I have a digital marketing manager as one of my direct reports and am looking to hire another one at the moment so I’m talking from experience here. We’re a technology startup doing something in a pretty cool area based in London.

Unfortunately without any real world experience your degree is pretty much worthless and the market rate salary for digital marketers entering the world of work is about zero.

Seriously. Supply massively exceeds demand, and it’s a buyers market.

When we hired our current person we were advertising in the high teens salary wise (fairly entry level job) and had around 150 applicants ranging from fresh college leavers through to experienced marketers with masters degrees and 10 years experience trying to get back to work after a career break needing to get recent experience back onto their CV.

Many of the fresh grads without experience offer to work for free for the first 6 months (they said we could call it an internship). You’ll be up against these when you enter the job market.

As other posters have mentioned you desperately need to get real experience. Apply for every internship you can possibly find (it’s unlikely to be a paid internship) and don’t expect to earn anything until you’ve got some good experience behind you.

Other things that will really help you are to make sure your online presence is stunning.

So many people apply for digital marketing roles without having bothered to complete their profiles on social media, have a CV that is just a simple word template and don’t seem to realise that if you can’t market yourself to an employer, how can you market someone’s business?

Happy to give you some more guidance if you DM me

Orangeteddy Thu 23-Aug-18 21:06:49

Retail head offices may be a good bet - often take on grads in entry level positions and offer decent prospects to learn on the job and work your way up. Don’t do any more courses, the key now is to get experience. Have a look on Linked In for relevant managers in this area and approach them, even if they don’t have vacancies currently it’s worth making the connection.

sunshineNdaisies Fri 24-Aug-18 07:35:22

Get voluntary experience in marketing. It wont pay you but it will give you work to add to your CV

OllyBJolly Fri 24-Aug-18 07:43:34

What the others said.

This is a competitive market with colleges turning out way more grads than there are jobs. You need to be able to demonstrate how good you are. Your own online presence has to be targeted and engaging. That's what I'd be looking at way before I'd be interested in anyone's qualifications.

FairyAnn Fri 24-Aug-18 07:44:31

There are some good qualifications you can add that employers for that kind of role would be interested to see;

Google Analytics certified
Google AdWords certified
HubSpot do a range of free courses in things like Inbound Marketing, Content Marketing, SEO marketing, etc....

All worth checking out 😊

Also have a look at apprenticeship opportunities.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in