Talk

Advanced search

Making it impossible to return to work!

(18 Posts)
Samcj02 Thu 16-Aug-18 20:57:34

Hi I’ve posted a few threads on here before about my mess of a maternity leave. No contract at work and just me had my hours reduced-cutting long story short! IM use to go back soon and they’ve offered me 15 hours, I was doing 21 Before. I was doing 3 full days before they now want me to do 5 mornings at 3 hours a morning but I can’t afford the childcare...! I’m on minimum wage and my babies childcare is £28 a morning. I’ll be earning less than that also because I’m only doing 15 hours I can’t apply for childcare tax credits.. Do I have any rights? I just feel like the last few weeks of my maternity I’m scrambling around trying to look for other work etc.. x

OP’s posts: |
SlimmingMumOf1 Thu 16-Aug-18 21:01:10

Surely they can give you an extra hour to do for one day so it takes it to 16 hours a week?! Speak to them. Explain that if they can't give you an extra hour then you have no choice but to resign and will have to find another job x

Di11y Thu 16-Aug-18 21:05:29

How long have you been off work? You have certain rights about going back to the same job, and that should include conditions.

Call acas?

Samcj02 Thu 16-Aug-18 21:06:01

I’ll try that but sure the answer will be no! But I will ask! We work in 3 hour blocks so they will probably refuse. Worth a try though. Thanks smile x

hesbeeneatingapotato Thu 16-Aug-18 21:07:16

No advice, but sympathy sad

My work are trying to make it impossible for me to return too (they've boosted my hours though, ones they know don't fit around childcare).

Samcj02 Thu 16-Aug-18 21:08:41

I’ve spoken to Acas before and approached them about this but they said they’ve also called Acas who have said they can be flexible with my hours because we work in education and there can be a drop in children this time of year..? I’ve worked there for almost 4 years and would have taken 9 months maternity by the time
I go back. They also made me feel terribly guilty about phoning Acas And have asked me
To approach themselves first before Acas
X

Samcj02 Thu 16-Aug-18 21:09:27

hesbeeneatingapotato Seems like these managers and companies have no morals shock x

hesbeeneatingapotato Thu 16-Aug-18 21:32:21

Sam absolutely! Some managers are awful about this sort of thing. I presume it has nothing to do with my maternity cover being on practically half my salary hmm ...

Honestly? I'm just job hunting like mad. A fresh start after maternity leave seems to be a hell of a lot easier than trying to go back for most of us sad it's awful. But there do seem to be really good employers out there, so there's hope.

If you're in education, are you in a union at all? They may be worth contacting.

JoJoSM2 Thu 16-Aug-18 22:16:08

Aren't you meant to go back to the same job? Surely changing 3 days to 5 and reducing hours isn't on? You could as well have another job on the other 2 days. Are you in a union? They might be able to offer some help.

Samcj02 Thu 16-Aug-18 23:03:55

Thanks. No I’m not in a union unfortunately! Maybe I’ll try Acas again and ask for their advice again hmm it’s a nightmare isn’t it? X

Samcj02 Fri 17-Aug-18 11:52:28

All they have said is “as confirmed with Acas we do not give specific hours of work to staff because of downfall of work in September”

hesbeeneatingapotato Fri 17-Aug-18 12:11:55

Wondering if it might be worth reposting this in the staffroom OP - lots of people working in education who may be able to confirm if that's accurate.

It is a nightmare. I'm looking into how I can supplement my income by £200 a month so I can pay for the childcare on top of childcare sad some employers do just make it way more difficult than it needs to be to return to work.

Samcj02 Fri 17-Aug-18 12:18:06

Oh thanks I’ll look at reposting this! I’m due to return in 8 weeks! And feel so unorganised. My nursery needs a £50 non refundable deposit as well! So need to know what’s going on!
Thanks

flowery Fri 17-Aug-18 13:15:00

What happened about your grievance hearing regarding discrimination Samcj?

Samcj02 Fri 17-Aug-18 13:26:16

They basically just rubbished it and had a meeting but they said they called Acas who have said they’ve done nothing wrong they made me feel like I was in the wrong and like I had to accept my new hours I left the meeting feeling guilty and like I had no rights at all sad. There are two of them and only one of me so it sort of felt like 2 on 1 and I’m not the sort of person “to stand up for myself” as such so I just accepted why they said and let it go. Apparently Acas said they can change my hours as we work 38weeks of the year, I have no contract and they can be reduced if there are low numbers. Like I’ve previously stated the other two members of staff are doing the same hours as before! X

redexpat Sun 19-Aug-18 08:38:12

Dont take their word for it. Ring acas yourself and ask if its true.

Mummyh2016 Sun 19-Aug-18 08:42:39

I’m sure I read somewhere that if you return to work within 6 months of ML they have to give you your old job/hours. If you return within 6-12 months they just have to offer you a job, not necessarily the same one.
Happy to be proved wrong though!

LadyLapsang Mon 27-Aug-18 00:03:11

In your position I would want to check. Ask them for the names of the person at ACAS who gave the advice. I think you need to check this out and perhaps see an employment lawyer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in