Between jobs about to start another but don't qualify for maternity pay

(6 Posts)
KitWan Tue 14-Aug-18 10:48:08

Hi,

In a bit of a predicament because I quit my job and a few days later found out I was pregnant. This means I don't get maternity pay (obviously) from the old place and the new place doesn't yet know I'm pregnant.

I start in my new job at the end of the month and have a 6 month probation too which will bring me right up to my due date. So I have a few requests for advice:

1) when should I tell my new work place? Leave as late as possible, as soon as I start, or even tell them before I start?

2) I don't think I'll qualify for maternity pay unless I fully complete probation and even then it'll be tricky as I leave immediately after probation. What other support is there?

3) should I go contracting and earn as much money as possible before baby is due? That way I'm not trapped in a job that won't give me maternity pay and requires 3 months notice.

Any thoughts?

OP’s posts: |
Di11y Tue 14-Aug-18 10:54:48

You'll get maternity allowance at least, paid by gov not company. How many weeks will you be when you start? I'd tell them after 12 weeks, or 20 if you're not struggling. Make sure you keep it dead secret then tell them and email to confirm so you have discrimination protection.

MaverickSnoopy Wed 15-Aug-18 10:47:12

Don't tell them before you start. I suggest working your socks off and wowing them. I also suggest keeping records of every single piece of positive praise as well as anything that might be helpful in showing you're doing a good job. You don't have to tell them until you're 25 weeks but if you're struggling then telling them earlier is sensible. They will also need to do a risk assessment and of course until you tell them you're pregnant you won't be protected from that perspective.

LIZS Wed 15-Aug-18 10:54:21

You would still get maternity rights just not smp. Maternity Allowance will pay out if you meet the criteria, at a flat rate for 39 weeks. They cannot dismiss you due to pregnancy and you only need to declare it when the issue over maternity leave arises.

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 10:59:46

I was in a similar situation I discovered I was pregnant the day before starting a new job. I told them just after 12 weeks and it was not an issue at all, I had no objections to any appointments and I had extra as I had GD. The only difference was that I only had SMP so we had to really up our savings during my pregnancy. Legally you have the same maternity rights as if you had been there for years (except for Mat pay) so just approach it as you would with any employer. Good luck and congratulations flowers

KitWan Wed 15-Aug-18 13:10:24

Thanks everyone. I will look into maternity allowance, but I'm guessing i'll have to find some other way of making money too! does anyone know any good mum entrepreneurs groups or good 2nd baby/mum stuff websites?

thanks

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in